It’s official: Fashion month is SS17 is here! We’re majorly excited about all the fashion, hair, makeup and FROW action. There’s nothing like the buzz of backstage and we’ve had a look at all the beauty trends that have been coming out onto the catwalk this season. From Topshop Unique’s Brook Shields inspired brows to Burberry’s bare faced beauty we’ve got a roundup of all our favourite looks so far!
PPQ kicked off on Friday with daring pops of colour on the lips of all the models. The girls wore a custom lilac shade created by Lord & Berry especially for the show that gave a gorgeous feminine look. Throughout the show the overall look was paired back beauty with a bold lip to contrast against the designs.
Bora Aksu was an utter frill fest! Look of the day was ultra feminine designs including ruffles, tulle and lace therefore it’s no surprise that the models’ makeup was very minimal and natural. With soft pink hues on the cheeks and barely there nude lipstick it was all very no makeup makeup. We’re obsessed with this look, anything to save an extra 10 minutes in the morning!
Julien Macdonald’s show had mega FROW action with Abbey Clancy, Ella Eyre, Tom Daley and Amber Le Bon all in attendance. Not to mention Hailey Baldwin opening and closing the show – AND it was held on a basketball court! The whole collection was pure glamour with cut outs, sequins and thigh high splits so it’s no surprise the makeup was equally as glamourous. They had dark smoky eyes with a bright highlight in the inner corners with plenty of smudgy liner. The skin was super dewy with a bronzey glow and a nude gloss on the lips. Not forgetting lashings of body oil!
Also presenting on Saturday was House of Holland which had a strong makeup look for the show. The skin was flushed and dewy, with heavy black liner applied to the lower lash line and top lashes coated with mascara. Lips were nude and brows left untamed. Backstage was full of spray tan booths as the models were dusted with St Tropez Instant Dark tan before stepping out.
Emilia Wickstead welcomed a touch of lightness with pretty, floral and delicate cottons. For this simple and floaty style the makeup look was very natural and elegant, with the purity of the skin being the main focus. The base was dewy and pale with a hint of colour on the cheeks, the lips a rosy pink and eyes bare.
Versus Versace saw Bella Hadid take centre stage (along with Gigi and Zayn in the front row to cheer her on!) The brand went all out rock chick with the show featuring biker leathers and ripped denim. The makeup was all about the eyes with grassy green lids and full, strong brows on some and bold eye popping colours on the lips for others.
Preen was all about whimsical beauty with the models embellished with delicate flowers down the sides of their faces. A festival of colour throughout the collection was also show with the addition of the flowers on the face, neck and chest, although underneath the face was bare with no makeup at all allowing the natural beauty to shine through.
Another big hit on Sunday was the Mary Katrantzou show. The makeup look was offset by the bold designs and a statement lip. Each model had a minimal and natural base with a stamped on mouth, in different fluoro-bright shades of bold orange, hot pink or tomato red.
Next on the list was Topshop Unique. The makeup artist behind all the magic, Hannah Murray, was inspired by Brooke Shield brows, wet-look eyes in a burgundy hue and 90s mink pink lips. Along with the 80s power hair, the look was done the model way with a soft and sexy finish.
Another designer that used a strong kohl on the lower lash line was Temperley London, created by the legendary Val Garland for Rodial. Along with the smoked out liner was a flawless, dewy base with the tiniest flush of colour on the cheeks. This elegant makeup look complimented the vibrant and fun collection.
So that’s the roundup of our favourite beauty looks from the Spring/Summer 17 so far and it seems this season we’ll be focusing on that perfect glowy skin and perfecting the art of sticking flowers on our faces! We’ll get practising’ Images sourced from Vogue.com, Elle.com and Topshop.co.uk.
Over here at FD we get a bit obsessed with all things makeup, hair care, fragrance, the beauty list is never ending. So we wanted to share some of our favourites from the last month that we’ve been getting excited about and let’s be honest, who doesn’t like a good review? Get all this products added to your beauty collection and we’re sure you’ll be raving about them just as much as us!
First up we have the gorgeous new scent from Stella McCartney ‘Stella POP’. Now you’ve probably seen this cute pink bottle popping up all over Instagram in the last couple of weeks and it’s no surprise because this stuff smells incredible! It’s the perfect scent to keep you smelling fresh this summer and the bottle will make a great addition to anyone’s perfume shelf. If you love girly, vibrant scents, this is definitely one to check out!
Next up, we have rediscovered a classic’ The Elizabeth Arden Flawless Future Ceramide Night Cream. This stuff works some crazy overnight magic that leaves you with a glowing, healthy looking complexion when you wake up. What more could you want from a night cream? This moisturiser is perfect if you have dehydrated, dull skin and are looking for something to give that extra boost.
Onto new makeup products and we are loving these additions from Revlon. First up is the Colourstay 24H Foundation. This foundation is perfect for you if you have combination/oily skin as it leaves you looking dewy but not greasy! It leaves the skin looking flawless and is super lightweight so you don’t feel like you’ve got a ton of product on your face. We can’t vouch for it staying put for 24 hours (I mean who leaves their foundation on for 24 hours anyway?) but it definitely stays pretty perfect looking for the most of the day. Also from Revlon is the new Volume and Length Magnified Mascara. Now volume and length is something I actively look for in a mascara as someone who was not blessed in the eyelash department, sniff, so I was really excited to try out this one from Revlon. It’s so so so good! It coats the lashes without looking clumpy and leaves them looking super long and fluttery!
Still on makeup products we have some new little editions from Bourjois, Little Round Pot Intense Eyeshadows, to be precise. For individual eyeshadows they’re a steal at £1.99 and the pigmentation you get with these babies is amazing. Snap up all the colours to create as many different eyeshadow looks as you like! Tip: apply wet for a more intense pay off.
Rounding of makeup/skincare, we have this Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover. It’s super gentle on the skin, so is perfect for the eye and mouth area. It’s so great for removing pesky, hard to budge mascara products in one (or a couple) of easy sweeps.
On to haircare’ now in the summer months our hair can become a little bit limp, frizzy and heat damaged. Cue Charles Worthington’s Long Lasting Straight Spray, this stuff is a miracle in a bottle for those of us with wavy, curly or frizzy hair! The weightless formula tames frizz and smooths curls to leave the hair looking soft and smooth throughout the day. Definitely one to snap up if you’re heading off on holiday and have some humid heat to deal with!
Let us know some of your favourites from this month and chat with us over on Twitter with #FDJulyFavs
Wearing a bright and bold lipstick can be something of a burden and if you aren’t used to wearing it, a bit of a tricky prospect. It’s constantly at the back of your mind whether you’re on a date, in an interview or on a night out and the urge to whip out the hand mirror 30 times an hour is overwhelming. Applying a bold lip effectively requires a step by step process, which may seem like a big chunk of your makeup routine but once you’ve got it down to a fine art you’ll be rocking that lip effortlessly at every event!
We’ve devised the best way to keep that colour looking perfect for hours so keep on reading!
1. Exfoliate. Exfoliating your lips is essential for making sure you don’t get lipstick clinging to any dry or flaky areas of the lips. Scrub the lips with a small amount of brown sugar mixed with honey, the best thing to do is to include this in your weekly routine (we suggest twice a week to keep lips in top condition, removing dead skin and leaving you with a smooth base).
2. Moisturise. Next up it’s essential that the lips are well moisturised, any chapped or dry lips will significantly affect the finish and longevity of any bold lipsticks. Keep a hydrating lip treatment close by at all times, we suggest EOS Lip Balm to nourish and plump lips!
3. Prime. Priming the lips before applying a strong colour is essential as you want smooth and perfect base, much the same as using as makeup primer. It will increase the longevity of any lip colour and keep in from bleeding or feathering on the lips. We suggest this one from Sally Hansen as it includes an antioxidant formula of jojoba, sunflower and Moroccan oil which will also aid in keeping the lips hydrated.
4. Line. Now we all know with any lipsticks that we are supposed to line the lips and by no surprise it is essential for when you are applying that bright lippy. A lip liner is the most effective product for enhancing the lipstick and keeping it from budging all day long. You can use a lip liner to enhance the natural shape of your lips and create the appearance of a fuller lip. If you’re a big make up hoarder (guilty!) then you may have plenty of different lip liners to match all the lipsticks you own, however if you want one that will work for all lip colours then you need to go for a flesh toned shade. We suggest the Mii Alluring Lip Liner in Caress as its super creamy and easy to apply.
5. Tone. Ok now we get to the actual lip colour and the tone! Not all shades will flatter your skin tone so it’s best to make sure you know which one will work for you. If your skin has a pink undertone then it’s best to go for a blue toned lipstick like this one from MAC (Ruby Woo). A warmer tone will work best for those with a yellow undertone to the skin, like this one from MAC (So Chaud).
6. Application. When applying a bold lipstick it is important to keep the application as precise as possible. Using a lip brush will make it much easier than directly from the bullet, it will also help prevent mistakes and smudging. The best technique is to apply thin layers on product and then build up; this will also help with longevity. Start by following the outline of your lips and then blend into the centre to keep application looking professional. This retractable one from Real Techniques will work perfectly.
7. Blot. Once you have built up your desired colour and are happy with the application, blot blot blot. If you can get your hands on blotting tissues then they work better as they soak excess product without removing any pigment. These from Purederm are perfect and are also purse friendly, bonus! If you haven’t got blotting paper, then regular tissue will work as a substitute. By blotting the lips you will cement the pigment in place and prevent bleeding or settling in the creases.
8. Tidy. To clean up the edges of your lip line, use a bit of concealer on a thin lip brush. This will really make the lip colour standout and give you that professional finish, it’s also great for concealing any tiny mistakes! This concealer palette from W7 is great as it includes the tiny brush for application and the formula is really creamy and easy to apply.
9. Lock. Finally, the last step to perfecting the bold lip colour is fixing. A clear top coat will hold that colour in place for hours and prevent and transfer or smudging. The best one to use is this Technic Clear Gloss. If you want to keep your lipstick looking matte then you can dust some translucent powder over the lips and this will also lock the colour in place. Try this Technic Colour Fix Loose Powder.
Now try out these vibrant shades!
The Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick is one of our all time favourite lipsticks. It’s super pigmented giving a rich, lasting colour and the ‘Glamourous Red’ shade is the perfect, deep red for all skintones. Tip: Apply Lipcote on top to keep your pout as bright as ever all day long.
For those of you that prefer a matte finish, the Rimmel Apocalips Matte Lip Lacquer is the go-to product for just that. Our favourite shade is ‘Burning Lava’, a strong, deep, blue red ‘ pairing this with the right lip liner will give you an extra bold look. Tip: create a quick lip scrub with sugar, honey and olive oil before applying to prevent the matte formula drying out your lips and sitting in the creases.
Bewitching Coral is a safer tone for those who like it a little more low key. The warm pink tones make it a gorgeous, summery shade for most skintones. We love how the Max Factor Long Lasting Collections Lipstick stays put all day and leaves a silky soft finish to your lips. Tip: Apply a clear gloss over this shade in the Summer months for an extra pop!
This one’s a shade for those who dare! The L’Oreal Color Riche Made for Me Lipstick in Violet Saturne is a deep, plum toned brown and a colour to make a statement with during the evening. We love this one for a goth-goes-glam look. Tip: Lightly dab a lighter shade in the middle of your lips to create a subtle ombrÃ‡Â¸, making lips look more voluptuous.
Rock N Mauve
A favourite for Spring, the L’Oreal Caresse lipstick in Rock N Mauve is a subtle rose tone pink and is really pretty on those with paler skin tones, or for when you want to go a little more natural but still with a pop of colour ‘ and did we mention it’s flavoured? Win! Tip: Line with a lipliner one shade darker to bring the colour to life.
Une Sheer Lips
Lip glosses are the in-thing again, and Bourjois’ range of Une Sheer Lips Lip glosses is one of our favourite high street offerings, with the perfect balance of light and moisturizing rather than sticky. To brighten up a nude look with a glossy finish, Bourjois’ Une Sheer Lips has a shade for everyone. Tip: Line with a nude lipliner to keep lips looking strong and fuller.
Next it’s time to sculpt the face. Since we’re keeping this makeup look rather simple, try to stay away for sharp contouring and instead focus on warming up the skin with a natural matte bronzer and rosy blush. The perfect product for a super fresh face? Too Faced’s Natural Face palette, of course! Finish off the face by setting the look with Oriflame’s Beauty Studio Artist translucent Powder.
So with perfect skin, what’s next? Perfect brows of course! To give them a natural but polished look, lightly fill them in using Billion Dollar Brows Brow Powder in taupe. Brush through the brows for a more natural finish, or add a little setting spray to your brush for a super sculpted look. Add a subtle swipe of W7’s Argan Eyes Mascara to the top lashes to complete this seriously simple eye.
And of course, what’s a red lip makeup look, without the red lip!? To ensure your pout stays on all day long, line the lips using Technic’s Lip Liner in red and follow up with Rimmel’s Apocalips Matte Lip Lacquer in Burning Lava. Blot the lips for an extra matte finish, and you’re good to go!