You can’t beat a good skiing vacay, us brits love it! Surrounded by breath taking scenery and often a lot of alcohol, 1.1 million of us enjoy a holiday on the slopes each year. So, are you off skiing this winter?
We’re sure all your thinking about when skiing is which run to tackle next and which apres ski bar to hit up, however skiing can have a detrimental effect on your skin. We’re just going to highlight some key things to remember while out and about on the slopes and advise you on how to prevent any damage caused by all that fun.
The main thing to try and prevent while you are skiing is sun damage, the sun is particularly harmful up on the slopes. Sunburn can be extremely painful and cause severe long-term health conditions. Sunburn is caused by the UV rays reflecting off the snow onto your face. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommend that you wear at least SPF 30 when skiing and to reapply regularly, not forgetting under your chin!
After a couple of days of skiing your skin will start to see the repercussions whether it is due to central heating and extreme outdoor temperature or down to those post-ski drinks, dehydration and breakouts may occur. Therefore, using an exfoliator, cleanser and moisturizer will really sooth your skin and keep it fresh. Not forgetting your lips! Your lips are extremely sensitive to the climate around you and the weather can cause them to chap, crack and tighten, and then become very sore. Other conditions can harm your skin such as wind burn this is caused by the friction of cold air. It can be extremely painful on your face, so you must wear the correct protection. Your eyes and the surrounding skin are extremely sensitive to the strong UV rays so make sure you wear all the correct gear. Your goggles should block out 99-100% of UV rays and covering your face it is an alternative to products for protection.
Taking all those factors into consideration here is our survival kit for your holiday on the slopes:
Piz Buin Long Lasting Sun Lotion would be a go-to sun cream it has SPF30 and can last up to 6 hours. The vitamin E in this product will help to neutralise free radicals which cause premature skin ageing, whilst also keep the skin soft and supple.
To counteract extreme changes in temperature a sensitive skin cleanser such as Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser will work wonders. It contains no artificial fragrance or colour so is ideal for those with dry or sensitive skin.
If you are out and about drinking having a tinted moisturizer or foundation with SPF will help protect your skin as well as adding a bit of coverage and colour. These products is also very good value for money.
The Burts Bees Beewax Lip Balm Tube is a good hang bag/ coat pocket essential for your lips. Perfect for sealing and protecting them throughout your holiday. It also is a natural emulsifier that adds a wonderful smell and colour for a little bonus!
We hope you have a wonderful times on the slopes but don’t let your skin pay the price!
The party season is officially here, just in case we didn’t have enough reasons to get all glammed up. If you’re anything like us, you’ll have plenty of outfits already lined up and ready to go.
But, what about makeup? The festive season is a great opportunity to go big on the glamour and maybe even try something a little different. If you’re thinking about mixing it up, then we’ve got your back. Here are some ideas we’ve been mulling over – get ready to stun at your New Year’s celebration!
1. Glitter, Glitter and More Glitter!
New Year’s Eve is the perfect chance to make a dazzling impression, and if you want to be as sparkling as the fireworks when the bell rings midnight, glitter is the answer.
If you’re new to glitter, and you’re looking for the perfect way to add a little sparkle, then makeup glitter pastes are an instant win. The Prima Makeup Chameleon Collection Glitter Paste comes in a variety of colours and smells of prosecco and clementine – festive!
2. Up in Smoke
Planning on wearing your little black dress? Pair it with the ultimate smokey eyes and make an instant impression.
The festive season is a great opportunity to mix things up and try something bolder or brighter than usual. Making a statement with your lips may feel like a small change, but it can have a big impact if done right.
The Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Guest List Red is festive and bold and can be used year-round, while the Clarins Rouge Shine offers nine different colours from cherry to red fuschia, all of which will give you an intense and sensual look that’s perfect for New Year’s Eve.
We all like to look and feel good, but sometimes spending hours in front of the mirror in the morning can be a real drain on our time and energy.
However, if you apply a couple of beauty hacks to your skincare, makeup, and hair care routine, you can make sure you look and feel ready to take on the day without sacrificing hours of your time.
Take a look at our top beauty hacks for men and women that can save you both time and money.
1. Fixing Spray
We promise you, spending a few pounds on a fixing spray can save you so much time and money you’ll wonder why you’ve only just discovered this ‘best-kept secret’ product.
Fixing sprays keep your makeup in place for hours and hours, and are lightweight and comfortable. They work hard to combat weather, sweat and heat, so they’re perfect for outdoors people, or those of us who regularly find ourselves dancing into the small hours.
Getting ready in the morning can be a difficult process at the best of times, and it’s even more of a chore when you’ve missed your alarm and you’re running half an hour behind.
If you find you have no time for your makeup routine, simply style your eyebrows. The eyebrows are one of the most important features on your face, and if you style them properly they will frame your face, helping you look well rested and well put together (even if you don’t feel it!).
Dry shampoo is a beauty hack that many beauty lovers know about already, but there are ways you can make it work even harder for you.
Make sure you only spray it onto your roots (where it’s needed most), whilst using a bristle brush to spread it through the rest of your hair. We also recommend letting it sit in your hair for 5-10 minutes before you touch or brush your hair to massage it in.
If you have a feeling that you’re going to wake up with greasy hair but simply don’t have time to wash it, you can apply some dry shampoo to your roots and leave it to absorb overnight. This will help it get rid of excess oils and sweat produced through the night.
We all know the importance of the three-step cleanse, tone and moisturise process as part of a daily skincare routine. But there’s another stage that you can add that can leave your skin looking and feeling better than ever: serum!
Maybe you don’t wear makeup, and feel like the three-step cleanse, tone and moisturise process isn’t for you. Well, think again!
Impurities can get onto your skin in a number of different ways, not just from makeup, so you should always make the effort to cleanse your face and keep it looking fresh and healthy with the right kind of moisturiser (especially after shaving).
Why not treat yourself this Christmas? Take a minute away from worrying about everyone else and cleanse yourself from the inside out, freeing yourself of all pre- Christmas stresses. We all love to be pampered but often don’t treat ourselves enough to that all important “me time”. So here, we’re going to run through a full body pamper session not only to relax but give your appearance the perfect Christmas glow.
So, pour yourself a glass of wine, light a few candles and let’s get started…
Exfoliate first. There are two types of exfoliating, mechanical which is the physical scrubbing of your skin surface and chemical exfoliation which uses salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acids or enzymes in products to chemically break down the surface build up. In the bath use a loofa or a body scrub to remove all dead skin. Tip; remember to give your elbows, knees and feet extra TLC and don’t forget your back.
The Tree Hut Shear Sugar Scrub is super popular. This natural scrub comes in a variety of scents and smooths your skin as you exfoliate. The whole grains provide a gentle but deep exfoliation and it is enriched with Vitamin C to keep skin looking young and healthy. Another favourite would be the Ren Clean Skincare Anti Fatigue Exfoliating Body Scrub because it is suitable to all skin types. It also stimulates the skins natural skin process when massaged on, activating micro-circulation and helping your muscles to relax.
Once out of the bath start by moisturizing your newly revitalised skin with Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Deep Moisture Gift Set. This set includes a deep moisture balm to treat the most affected areas, a lotion that will leave your skin soft and a light hand cream which will give you a little protection through the winter months.
Now to give yourself the perfect facial, use a soapy liquid formula to cleanse your face removing all grease, oil and bacteria. The trick is to use warm water and never hot water as it will dry out your skin. The Organic Pharmacy Rose Facial Cleansing gel with its rose infused formula is perfect for refreshing the skin. But for someone needing a budget friendly product the Ren Rosa Centifolia foaming cleanser is a great product, the cleanser remove’s dirt without stripping away all the beneficial oils.
If you suffer with blackheads or breakouts, exfoliating and steaming your face will help. T-zone exfoliation will help flight clogged pores leaving your skin clear. The T-Zone Charcoal Purifying Facial Scrub has been specially formulated to help you get rid of any blemishes.
Adding a toner and a moisturiser will tighten and firm your skin as well as removing all toxins. This is the final stage of your facial, use a toner to prep your skin for the moisturisers removing any left-over dirt. The Dermalogica Clear Start All Over Toner is a quick and easy product to use, spritz the mist all over your face and leave it to absorb. This product is cool and refreshing helping skin that is prone to breakouts. For moisturisers Gatineau products are one of the best as they cater to all skin types. They have a range of moisturizers but one to recommend would be their multi protective cream strengthening your skin’s defences and immediately soothing and restoring comfort.
If you are wanting to take your pamper party a little further there is always those nails that might need a polish to finish off. Soaking away any remaining nail varnish and start by shaping the nail. Remove the cuticles, using a nail buffer and painting in layers are all things to remember. The LaRoc 12 Piece Manicure Kit is a great set to help with nail care as it includes everything you need. Using a nail care product will help to build strength and growth, the Sally Hansen products are our favourites. Sally Hansen Double Duty Base and Top Coat is a fabulous two in one product. To add the glam there are plenty of nail varnishes to choose but for this festive period the OPI selection have been very popular. OPI Infinite Shine Nail Polish Colour shades So Hot It Berns and Cozu Melted In The Snow are ones to try.
We hope you feel brand new after your pamper and ready to take on the party season!
Christmas is just around the corner and panic is starting to creep in as there are people still on the list to buy for. The problem is the people you have left on our list to buy presents for are the ones we haven’t got a clue what to buy! With ram packed December diary’s and emails with the last delivery dates coming through stress levels are rising. Never the less like every year we manage to pull it off, so we are here if you need some last-minute present inspiration for family members, friends or that work colleague you’ve exchanged two words with…
For the men in your life whether it’s your dad, brother, boyfriend or colleague here are 5 products we recommend you take a look at.
1. The American Crew Essential Grooming Kit. American Crew is a leading brand created specifically for men and the stylists they trust; their products are one of the best with a sleek masculine style. This gift set includes a fiber cream, 3 in 1 shampoo, shaving gel and finishing spray all in a smart washbag.
2. The Dolce and Gabbana the one Grey for Men Gift Set. This intense fusion of opposites grounding aromatic cardamom with an earthy vetiver combined with a smart bottle and luxury packaging is a great gift for a certain gentleman in your life this Christmas.
3. The Barber Pro Skin Revival Mask Set. The set contains a selection of a sheet, foaming, under eye mask and putty peel off masks. Everything someone needs for a fresh looking and clear appearance. Especially after the hard months of excessive food and drink.
4. The Mens Society Beard Grooming Gift Set. This is for those gentlemen who love their facial hair. This is a sophisticated beard cologne and Moisturising Oil with a Wax comb and leather sheath. Portland England’s Beard Grooming Set contains everything a gent will need to cultivate, preen and protect his beard.
5. The Lacoste L’Homme Gift Set. This set is an essence of modern style masculine and simplistic design. Its woody spicy scent with top notes of mandarin and sweet orange make it a warm and sensuous fragrance. This is a great gift for anyone who is shopping on a budget.
For those tricky ladies such as your mother in law, sister and girlfriend here are some ideas that are gifts that we think anyone would appreciate.
1. The Clarins Weekend Treats Gift Set. This brand has an innovate approach to beauty making it completely unique and recognised for their approach to well-being, balance and happiness. The set includes flash balm, hand and nail treatment, light up perfector, rich body lotion, hydra essential cream and eye contour gel. A great recommendation if you really want to treat someone.
2. The Nuxe Crème Friche de beaute set for Normal Skin. This set includes a light hydrating cream and a face, body and hair dry oil. These two products are perfect for soothing and revitalising your skin which may have taken a hard month or so. These products and packaging are perfect for a present for someone who does use or hasn’t yet tried the brand as they are so highly recommended.
3. The Yves Saint Laurent YSL Mon Paris Gift Set. Introducing a new expression of love and passion this feminine bottle and set feels like such a treat when you open it. The floral scents turn a traditional model upside down meaning it appeals to all ages you might be buying for.
4. The Decleor Time To Glow Gift Set. Decleor continues to lead with its trusted expertise in aromatherapy skincare. Using natural and potent active ingredients they continue to visibly enhance health and radiance. So, for anyone who you think deserves a little boost this is a lovely gift to give someone this Christmas. The set includes a hydrating oil serum, exfoliating cream and Intense glow awakening cream.
5. The Jean Paul Gaultier Scandal Gift Set. This set is an unexpected, off-beat and fun design and scent, making it the perfect for sisters and girlfriends that you are struggling to buy for. The signature honey paired with intoxicating tuberose, tonka bean and sandalwood makes this scent so addictive to anyone who tries it making it the perfect gift.