We all know how important it is to keep our skin protected from the harmful rays of the sun, but we can often be guilty of forgetting about our hair! The sun can wreak havoc on our locks just as much as our skin, leaving it dry, frazzled and damaged (not the look we’re going for!). Here are our top tips for keeping your hair safe in the sun.
1. Conditioner is your best friend. While the sun is drying out your hair, make sure you help restore it with plenty of conditioner in the warmer months. It will help keep the hydration levels in your hair up and bring it back to life after a day on the beach. If you’ve been splashing in and out of the pool all day, try adding a leave in conditioner to really lock in that moisture as chlorine will also aggravate the situation.
Toni & Guy Nourish Conditioner for Damaged Hair.
Charles Worthington Moisture Seal Leave in Conditioner.
2. Sunscreen Serum. Plenty of hair serums also include an SPF, now this is perfect for when you’re out in the sun all day. They will help stop the sun from making your hair brittle and therefore snapping off or splitting.
Malibu Dry Oil Spray SPF20
Charles Worthington Takeaways Sunshine Protector
3. Try to avoid heat as much as you can. Your hair is already taking a bit of a beating from the sun so try to avoid as much additional heat as possible. Embrace your natural hair and let it air dry if you can, if not then go for the cool setting on your hair dryer. This also goes for styling tools; try to steer clear of straightening irons and curling tongs!
4. Care for your colour. If you have coloured your hair you’ll need extra protection in the sun, as the sun’s rays can really fade your colour. Having coloured hair, particularly lightened, also makes the hair dryer to you’ll need to make sure you’re using plenty of conditioner as mentioned above. Try selecting products that are specifically suited to coloured or treated hair as they tend to have ingredients to keep colours looking vibrant and hydrated.
Tigi Bed Head Colour Goddess Duo – Shampoo and Conditioner
5. Go natural! Avocado, olive oil and coconut oil all help keep your hair naturally moisturised, they aid in the retention of water that your hair is exposed to either in the air or the shower. Try mixing up your own hair mask and apply once a week throughout the summer months.
6. Tame the frizz. Warmer climates can be a nightmare for people with naturally frizzy hair, trying to control this will help your hair retain moisture and stop it going extra dry. Try adding in an anti-frizz curl cream to help maintain your locks and keep them conditioned.
Alterna Bamboo Smooth Anti-Frizz Curl Defining Cream
7. Know when to wash. You probably already know it’s not the best idea to wash your hair every day, this is even more important in the summer months. Shampooing every day removes all the natural oils you produce that are designed to protect your hair and keep it healthy. Washing once every couple of days with a hydrating shampoo and conditioner is the best option to stop your hair from drying out.
L’Oreal Elvive Nurti Gloss Shampoo
8. Regular trims. Split ends and breakage can be more visible in the warmer months as they hair naturally appears dryer. Keeping up with regular trims will help keep the hair looking healthy and full and also improve the condition.
Now you’re fully equipped to protect your hair from damage this summer, if all else fails keep your hair tied up and under a super stylish wide brimmed hat! Here at Fragrance Direct we are fully supporting Sun Awareness Week (8th May – 15th May), take a look at all our sun protection products and after-sun’s here and make sure you’re protected against those rays!