There are plenty of new fragrances to keep you happy this season. So, if you need a new perfume to give you a boost, read on. Here’s the lowdown on our favourites from top designers across the globe.
Marc Jacobs Daisy White
Delicate and perfectly feminine, the Daisy collection ticks all the boxes if you want romance. This brand-new addition is just as alluring as every Daisy scent. Youthful, fun and radiant, we love it for its soft jasmine, white berries and floral hints. It’s exactly the thing to brighten up any rainy day.
CK All and CK Obsessed
There aren’t many fragrances as iconic as those by Calvin Klein. The newly launched CK All takes its inspiration from the trend-breaking CK One. Daring, energetic, young-at-heart and made for men and women, it’s a feel-good scent that will take you through from day to night. And if that gets you excited, check out the new CK Obsessed. A reinvention on the originals, these scents for men and women ooze love, sensuality and desire.
Armani Because of you and Stronger with You
A beautiful power-play of fragrances for her and him, Because of You and Stronger with You slot neatly into Armani’s fragrance collection. Charismatic, dominant and empowering, these scents are the ultimate confidence boost.
Nina Ricci Luna and Nina Limited Edition
Nina Ricci bring us not one, but two new fragrances. Luna Le Belles is mysterious, enthralling and addictive, and we can’t get enough of this mood-lifting oriental fragrance. And Nina La Tentation De Nina Limited Edition makes us feel spoilt for choice, with its ultra-modern, sugary sweet perfume.
Elie Saab Girl of Now
For a true taste of summer during those darker months, Elie Saab Girl of Now is just what you need. Mixing oriental flavours with smooth Tonka bean and almond milk, it’s sunny, feel-good, easy-to-wear and utterly delicious.
Paco Rabanne Pure XS
Indulgent, sexy and sure, we’re big fans of everything by Paco Rabanne. This new aftershave is a true celebration of wealth, power and excess. Sensual and manly, it’s a power scent for those true masculine types out there.
YSL Black Opium Pure Illusion
Devilishly good, seductive and vivacious, this reinvention of YSL’s original scent leaves us feeling 100% great. Perfect for a big party night, it’s rich, sparkling tones mix coffee beans with sensual musk and flowers.
Diesel Bad Intense
Rebellious and daring, this fresh take on the Diesel Bad aftershave is filled with warmth and spice. Herbaceous and woody, it will add a bit of fire to your life when the dark nights set in.
Hugo Boss The Scent Intense and Intense for Her
Coupling up an aftershave and perfume for lovers everywhere, these gorgeous scents are powerfully seductive. The Scent Intense is as masculine and refined as Intense for Her is womanly and sophisticated. And because they use a higher concentration of oils, they’re sure to stay with you all night long.
KENZO WORLD the newest and most exciting launch from the brand! KENZO’s artistic directors Carol Lim and Humberto Leon breathe their vision of fashion into their first fragrance’
A world in their image: bold, spontaneous, surprising, fun and colourful’ A world that celebrates freedom of expression, diversity and creativity. A playful and dynamic fragrance’ true to the KENZO spirit.
For the 2013 fall-winter collection, Carol Lim and Humberto Leon made the eye the iconic motif of the KENZO world: ‘The all-seeing eye is a major imprint of the collection and alludes to the force of the third eye and to spiritual protection from above’ they explain. ‘We loved this interpretation of the eye really informing your world and being able to personalise your world.’ Carol Lim.
As one of the most recognisable fashion icons of the KENZO collection, the eye now transcends into the universe of fragrance. The striking bottle features black rubber, pink gold and opaline, recalling the mix-and-match of KENZO fashion. Mysterious and fascinating when see from the front or above, the eye reveals itself from every angle. A stylized metaphor of the eye and its power, the box invites you to experience its magic. Embossed on the paper, concentric circles gravitate around the eye, in an optical mise en abyme of its captivating seduction. A world of endless exploration.
KENZO WORLD’S FLORAL BURST
The KENZO WORLD flight opens with a surge of flowers by the armful, from petals to bouquets, with bursts of sweetness’ it’s a brilliant fragrance, with a lively sparkling trail, a crazy rock nectar with an intoxicating scent that titillates the nose. A shot of energy that benefits the soul. A stylish lingering aura. Francis Kurkdjian created this fragrance like a real flower explosion, where each flower reveals a new facet. Like a dreamlike bouquet, the Peony is a sublimated to accompany the ‘red berry’ facets of Egyptian Jasmine. Bewitching Ambroxan sustains the note and add voluptuousness an sensuality to a fragrance that transgresses stereotyped femininity.
‘My Mutant Brain’ by Spike Jonze
‘For us, the KENZO woman is relatable. She’s inspirational yet understandable. She’s doing things, right? She’s got things happening in her life. She’s going to school or she’s dating. She’s an activist. She’s a doer. What we wanted to convey was that yes, she possesses this extra layer. We also want her to be someone you attain to be, like the best version of yourself.’ Carol Lim.
Jonze has certainly transcended the genre, creating a madcap musical stomp that blends choreography and performance. Without pausing, he drops us into the midst of frantic life, invites us to run as far as the eye can see, with renewed energy, never of out breath, to pursue our dreams and desires.
Casting required a girl who could not only dance (mechanically and masterfully) but embody the irreverent chic and quirkiness of KENZO, not to mention the spirits of whatever was possessing her or whatever personality she was exhibiting. Upon meeting Margaret Qualley, an actress and former dancer, it was obvious they had found the perfect sylph for such a demanding role.
Margaret Qualley exudes elegance while moving to a diabolical tempo in a flamboyant green dress created by Carol Lim and Humberto Leon. She aims for the moon and dives headfirst into her dreams. With a cavalcade of back flips through a series of corridors, she gives a bold performance that captivates with each move, exuding raw, provocative energy. In her wake, she pulls everything that moves along with her; she sees the world the way she wants to see it. On a par with her excessiveness. Her run finishes with a breath Â¶Âªtaking swan dive that tells conventionalism where to get off.
‘The KENZO girl inhabits the present, like right now. She’s not nostalgic at all. She likes movement and speed and the way things shift and slide and collide in real time. She’s never blasÃ‡Â¸, always enthusiastic. She stands out from the crowd.’ Carol Lim and Humberto Leon
Spring has officially bloomed and the days are getting longer, yay! Spring is also a great time to switch up your beauty routine, think fresh glowy skin and peachy lip colours. Here at FD we’ve had loads of new fragrance launches over the last couple of months that are fresh, floral and fruity, the perfect spring perfumes! Let us know which is at the top of your wish list for your spring editions!
YSL Black Opium Floral Shock
The YSL Black Opium fragrance has always been a favourite; its fruity top notes and coffee accord base make it the perfect evening fragrance. However, the new edition to the Black Opium family is Floral Shock. It combines much fresher, floral tones with the iconic coffee notes that gives you Black Opium on ice’ A definite spring update on the original!
Marc Jacobs Daisy Kiss ‘ Daisy, Eau So Fresh and Daisy Dream
The bottles alone just scream spring; they are so beautiful that you instantly want the entire collection sitting on your dressing table. The Daisy Kiss editions are new for 2017 and are a slight adaptation on the ever popular originals. The fruity and floral compositions are perfect for a light and fresh day time scent. Which one will you pick? Daisy Kiss, Daisy Dream Kiss or Daisy Eau So Fresh Kiss?
Chloe Love Story Eau Sensuelle
The newest release from Chloe is Love Story Eau Sensuelle. As the name suggest this perfume is very sensual and includes sweeter and more romantic notes that the previous Love Story editions. It is a super sweet, feminine fragrance that will be perfect for a day time so give this one a try and it may become your favourite spring perfume!
Narciso Rodriguez For Her Fleur Musc
‘Fleur Musc represents a bold, passionate femininity; it’s a fragrance that evokes charm and grace’ ‘ Narciso Rodriguez. Fleur Musc is the perfect spring scent for those of you who prefer a muskier note to their perfumes. It has vibrant notes of rose, spices and amber wood to create a beautiful floral fragrance. Plus the bottle is bright pink and will look gorgeous in your collection!
Calvin Klein Deep Euphoria EDT
Calvin Klein Deep Euphoria EDT is the newest offering from the Euphoria range, a more radiant, spring-time scent that is light and fresh. The fragrance opens with fresh floral compositions of whimsical notes of water lily and pear. If you’re a fan of Euphoria or Deep Euphoria this will be the perfect addition to your collection, spritz on for a light day time fragrance that will keep you smelling fresh.
Escada Fiesta Carioca
So this one gives us more summery vibes than spring but there’s nothing wrong with stocking up early! Or like us you just give it a quick spritz mid-afternoon to get you excited for summer! This fragrance is sweet, fruity and tropical; a ‘cocktail of passion’. One sniff and you’ll be transported away to that sun lounger with a cocktail in your hand. The notes include luscious Brazilian passion fruit, red raspberry and orange flower, for those of you who love those fruity tropical tones!
Bulgari Rose Goldea
Bulgari Rose Goldea is a slightly older and sexier scent than the others mentioned, with a combination of rose and white musk. This one will be perfect for those spring evenings, when you want to make a statement without too much of a fruity top note.
Nina Ricci Luna
Luna is the newest release from Nina Ricci, launched on the 27th March. The first glimpse is beautiful and enticing with notes of orange blossom and wild berries. The heart and base notes create a vibrant and bold sensuality with eternal flower, caramel and sandalwood. This is a great addition if you love something a bit deeper and sensual, perfect for an evening fragrance that is intense and captivating.
It’s a brand new year and the student loans have dropped, there’s no better excuse to snap up all the beauty essentials you’re going to need to get you through the next term. Out with the old and in with the new as some may say (mainly your mum) but it’s a great time to start a fresh and head back to Uni with everything you need/want! We’ve picked out some great beauty products for all you busy students including long lasting makeup, easy and simple skincare and huge packs of shampoo and conditioner that will definitely last the entire term!
Yes To is a brand that is great for younger skin, they have different families for all kinds of skin needs. From tomato products for detoxifying to cucumber for that much needed hydration. There are a few products that we love from the range that will definitely be great to add to your collection. These Cucumber Hypo Allergenic wipes include cucumbers (obviously), green tea and aloe and are great for getting rid of all your makeup and leaving your skin feeling smooth and refreshed. The Tomatoes Clearing Facial Mask is also perfect if you have a bit of troublesome skin, it will give you a deep pore treatment to clear and purify the skin. It is filled with anti-oxidants that fight free radicals and bursting with powerful sebum absorbers to keep any oily skin at bay!
When you’re back at Uni you can’t rely on your mum for keeping the shampoo and conditioner stocked up. Tigi have some great duo’s that are literally huge, they are guaranteed to last you weeks! They also cater for all hair types and any needs you have including Colour Goddess, Urban Antidotes Resurrection, Oatmeal and Honey, Elasticate. They’re all great value and amazing quality so you can keep your tresses in top condition for a bargain.
Dry Shampoo is an absolute essential for when you’re at Uni’ chances are you’ll sleep through your alarm at least once week and have a mad rush to get dressed and out the door. Worry not; this Charles Worthington Dry Shampoo will keep all your greasy sins hidden.
A big old pamper session is a great way to make new friends in your hauls, and you can’t have a pamper session without face masks! Snap up these Purederm masks for a bargain at £1.50 each and they have a great selection including vitamin E, Shea Butter and Mango.
Real Techniques Multitask Set of 3 Brushes is perfect for taking back to Uni with you. The limited edition set simplifies your makeup routine and has the bare essentials you need to get that flawless finish. Plus it comes with cute case that will keep everything organised for you!
Leftover pizza, dirty sheets and half-drunk beer does not make for a sweet smelling bedroom! An Orla Kiely Basil and Mint Candle is the perfect addition to keep everything smelling fresh and clean. Also a nice decoration for your desk!
Don’t forget all students get 10% off all products on Fragrance Direct with UniDays, even more reason to get shopping!
Now we all know perfume isn’t the cheapest beauty purchase, it’s a luxury us women like to indulge in or a much treasured gift. You want to feel like you’re making the most out of your perfume and that it’s lasting the length of time on the skin. Particularly in the summer months you step outside and your makeup slides off and perfume has completely disappeared. So we’ve put together some tips on how to make the most of your perfume and how to make the scent last longer on the skin.
1. Moisturise the pulse spots. If you use a non-scented moisturiser on the pulse areas, so the wrists and neck you will create a barrier which ensure the fragrances holds longer and doesn’t soak into the skin as much. It gives the oils in the perfume something to cling onto, ensuring maximum staying power. Tip: using a body lotion that matches the perfume you’re using is ideal for layering on the scent.
2. Where to spray the scent. Now where you actually spray your perfume is very important for how long it will last, you need to spray onto the areas that are naturally warmer. The wrists, the neck, even behind the knees!
3. Don’t rub your wrists together! Now this is a habit for most perfume wearers, spritz on the wrists and then rub them together. This is a big NO NO if you want your perfume to last as long as possible. The friction causes the top notes of the perfume to fade faster and therefore not last as long on the skin. It also breaks down the natural development of the perfume and effect scent as a whole.
4. Keep your skin hydrated. Keeping your skin hydrated is a major bonus for just about every beauty tip ever but it really does help your perfume last longer. Dehydrated skin tries to drink in everything that you layer on so healthy and hydrated is the way forward to make sure your perfume is soaked straight up.
5. Don’t just spray it onto your body. You can spray your perfume in lots of other places, not just on the body. Spray it on your clothes, hair, car anywhere you like! It will intensify the scent and make it last longer throughout the day. Make sure you don’t spray directly onto your clothes though as some perfumes can stain.
6. Spray your perfume just after you’ve got out of the shower. Damp skin locks in the scent and therefore it lasts much longer, but make sure you give it a few minutes before you get dressed so that it doesn’t rub off straight away.
7. Opt for a stronger scent. Stronger perfumes are obviously going to make more of an impact and last longer overall. Musks are traditionally a more resilient note and chances are you’ll be smelling it all day long.
8. Know what the different types of perfume are. Do you know your eau de toilette from your parfum or cologne from your body spray? The different types of scent mean different things for how long it’s going to last but also the strength of scent. Body sprays, cologne and eau de toilette’s have a lower concentration of fragrance oils and they have a more subtle scent. Eau de parfum tend to last longer and have a stronger scent. So it might just be worth forking out that little bit extra for parfum over the toilette.
9. Storing your perfume. The way your store your perfume will definitely affect how long it is going to last, perfume doesn’t last forever! It needs to be stored away from daylight, because heat and light can ultimate break down oil in the fragrance. Also not a good idea to store your scent somewhere that gets pretty warm, high temperature affect the top notes of the fragrance and can turn it sour! The best place to store perfume is in its original box, most probably on your dressing table away from extreme highs and lows in temperature.
10. Add the last few drops into a body lotion. Can’t get to the last millilitres at the bottom of the bottle? Pour it into an unscented body lotion to really make the most of that bottle! It avoids waste and makes your favourite scent last even longer.
These simple tweaks will keep you smelling sweet all day long and we bet you’re going to be telling everyone to stop rubbing their wrists together!
The new John Paul Gaultier Essence De Parfum has just launched, with updated scents for the ever popular Classique and Le Male. We wanted to see what the inspiration was behind the brand and what perfume means to the man himself; Jean Paul Gaultier.
1. What is Perfumery for you? What does its universe embody?
Parfumerie is a bit like Aladdin’s cave for me. There are so many elements, discoveries’ I have been experimenting with new fragrances for more than 20 years now, pushing the limits in this fascinating field. There are endless possibilities.
2. Is there a link between Haute Couture and Perfume?
Of course. Perfume is the first article of clothing it sets the pace of a look. And there is a vast savoir-faire in both fields. On both sides, there is a continual search for new shapes and new scent. And it is in this savoir-faire that both couture and perfume find their fulfilment.
3. What is most difficult when launching a perfume brand?
The most difficult thing is probably staying true to one’s own universe and to oneself. And to succeed in translating one’s values and obsessions into perfume. It is only by being in this state of mind, and thanks to savoir-faire, that one can reconcile both universes.
4. Not all fashion houses have a savoir-faire in perfumery, why did you choose to embrace this domain?
My DNA is to innovate and to be at odds with conventional ideal of beauty ‘ I always wanted to show more than one side of beauty. In my perfumes, I want to keep this irreverence and keep looking for a divergent beauty.
5. Once scent you like on other people?
The smell of freshness.
6. One scent you do not like on yourself?
A scent that would be too invasive.
7. An olfactory memory that transports you?
The smell of rice powder in theatres. It reminds me of the magical world I discovered at 6, when my grandmother took me to a show at the Theatre du Chatelet. It was like breaking through an all-new world, full of magic and poetry.
8. A childhood smell?
My grandmother’s boudoir.
9. What are the necessary qualities to appreciate a perfume?
A sense of surprise, an olfactive memory, like an image that appears in your head when you smell the perfume. I am a very visual person and scents trigger images in my head.
10. Do you think that women are more faithful to their men or to their perfume?
It is a good thing to be faithful, but it is also good to change. To each their own.
11. One word to describe JPG Perfumes?
Innovating, surprising, savoir-faire and punk attitude.
12. To whom is this beautifully designed body perfume addressed to?
Bodies evolve and so do perfumes. After more than 20 years of existence, they needed a new body and new look.
13. Your favourite quote about perfume?
‘When we talk about Belle Parfumerie, it does not always mean natural and raw materials’
You can get the new John Paul Gaultier Essence De Parfum here.