The time has come to kick those bad habits and start thinking about what you want to change for this brand new year! The first week in January is all about reassessing and making a load of New Year’s resolutions that you absolutely are going to stick to this year (ahem *new year, new me* you can do this!) When it comes to taking care of yourself, your beauty routine has got to be up there as a priority, it’s not just about the way you look but also the way you feel. Now you don’t need to go huge with these resolutions, I mean what’s the point in saying you’re going to hit the gym 7 days a week? Don’t set yourself up to fail, you just need a few small changes that you can feel proud you’ve accomplished by the end of the year.
1. Cut down on heat styling. We all know using curling tongs, straighteners, heated brushes and hair dryers can frazzle our hair and leave us with dry and damaged locks. So let’s put down the tools every once in a while and give our hair a break. Why not try leaving your hair in all its natural glory throughout the week and then style it up for the weekends? Try adding this Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque once a week to give your hair a much need moisture boost!
2. Take your makeup off before bed. Every single person already knows you should do this, but for 2017 can we all try and make sure it happens, every-single-night! Leaving makeup on while you sleep is disastrous for your skin as it can lead to clogged pours, blemishes, dull skin and also halts your skin’s natural regeneration process. No thank you! These Yes To Blueberries cleansing wipes are great for a quick removal and also moisturize at the same time. Bonus!
3. Don’t neglect a cleanser. Although we just said swiping off your makeup with a cleansing wipe is fine (it is) but also don’t forget to regularly use a gently exfoliating cleanser to keep your skin in top condition. You need to buff away the dead skin from your face every few days to make sure you stay glowy and fresh. Using a cleanser and muslin cloth is great for this as it’s really gentle on the skin. We suggest Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Exfoliating Cleanser for this.
4. Use a daily moisturiser with SPF. SPF is so important for keeping the skin protected against the harsh rays and also UV damage. That’s all year round people, not just when you’re lay by a pool! Stay looking younger for longer by lathering on that SPF, if you use a moisturiser that includes it you don’t even really need to think about it! This one from Clinique is great Clinique Super Defence Moisturiser SPF20.
5. Drink more water. Another boring one but we all know it has to go in everyone’s New Year’s Resolutions. But seriously, it can change your life! Your skin will be better, you’ll feel more awake, more productive, you’ll have more energy, the list goes on’ Just do it!
6. Regularly clean your makeup brushes. Regularly cleaning makeup brushes is so much easier said than done but it really needs to be included in your routine. When it comes to what you use on your skin it’s totally worth it to make sure you’re getting the best application but also that you’re not packing a load of dirt and grime on your skin. Washing makeup brushes once a week is the recommended but as long as you’re doing it a couple of times a month I think we should be fine! This Royal Cosmetic Brush Cleaner is a great tool to help you.
7. Give your nails a break. We’re all obsessed with manicures, gel manicures, acrylics but the truth is every now and again we need to give our poor nails a break. Give yourself a month off every few months and let your nails recover, take in some vitamin d and generally rejuvenate. This Sally Hansen Maximum Growth Plus contains plenty of vitamins and will help the condition of your nails to make them healthier and stronger.
8. Throw out old makeup. A lot of people aren’t aware that makeup does actually have a shelf life and it’s usually between 6 and 12 months. So for the New Year have a clear out of your makeup bag. If you’ve been hoarding products for years, the truth is they’re probably well past their use by date. Old makeup can attract bacteria so say goodbye to that 5 year old mascara, are you really going to miss it? I think not!
9. Get your hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks. Your hair is your crowning glory after all and you need to make sure it’s in the best condition possible. Getting regular trims will help to keep hair healthy but also minimise any further damage. Get those appointments booked in! Tigi Bed Head Anti Dotes Recovery twin is a great shampoo and conditioner duo that will also aid towards keeping those locks strong and healthy.
10. Start introducing Anti-Aging products into your routine. Don’t be put off by the words anti-aging; it is never too early to start thinking about minimising those aging signs. Incorporating these products into your daily skincare regime will do wonders in the long run and you don’t want to be left regretting not starting earlier in 10 years’ time! It is much easier to prevent signs than reverse! This Derma V 10 Anti Ageing Night Cream is great for anti-wrinkle and firming the skin.
Let’s all get off to a great start for 2017 and try to pick up a few good habits rather than bad! Good luck everyone!