It’s a brand new year and the student loans have dropped, there’s no better excuse to snap up all the beauty essentials you’re going to need to get you through the next term. Out with the old and in with the new as some may say (mainly your mum) but it’s a great time to start a fresh and head back to Uni with everything you need/want! We’ve picked out some great beauty products for all you busy students including long lasting makeup, easy and simple skincare and huge packs of shampoo and conditioner that will definitely last the entire term!
Yes To is a brand that is great for younger skin, they have different families for all kinds of skin needs. From tomato products for detoxifying to cucumber for that much needed hydration. There are a few products that we love from the range that will definitely be great to add to your collection. These Cucumber Hypo Allergenic wipes include cucumbers (obviously), green tea and aloe and are great for getting rid of all your makeup and leaving your skin feeling smooth and refreshed. The Tomatoes Clearing Facial Mask is also perfect if you have a bit of troublesome skin, it will give you a deep pore treatment to clear and purify the skin. It is filled with anti-oxidants that fight free radicals and bursting with powerful sebum absorbers to keep any oily skin at bay!
When you’re back at Uni you can’t rely on your mum for keeping the shampoo and conditioner stocked up. Tigi have some great duo’s that are literally huge, they are guaranteed to last you weeks! They also cater for all hair types and any needs you have including Colour Goddess, Urban Antidotes Resurrection, Oatmeal and Honey, Elasticate. They’re all great value and amazing quality so you can keep your tresses in top condition for a bargain.
Dry Shampoo is an absolute essential for when you’re at Uni’ chances are you’ll sleep through your alarm at least once week and have a mad rush to get dressed and out the door. Worry not; this Charles Worthington Dry Shampoo will keep all your greasy sins hidden.
A big old pamper session is a great way to make new friends in your hauls, and you can’t have a pamper session without face masks! Snap up these Purederm masks for a bargain at £1.50 each and they have a great selection including vitamin E, Shea Butter and Mango.
Real Techniques Multitask Set of 3 Brushes is perfect for taking back to Uni with you. The limited edition set simplifies your makeup routine and has the bare essentials you need to get that flawless finish. Plus it comes with cute case that will keep everything organised for you!
Leftover pizza, dirty sheets and half-drunk beer does not make for a sweet smelling bedroom! An Orla Kiely Basil and Mint Candle is the perfect addition to keep everything smelling fresh and clean. Also a nice decoration for your desk!
Don’t forget all students get 10% off all products on Fragrance Direct with UniDays, even more reason to get shopping!
The time has come to kick those bad habits and start thinking about what you want to change for this brand new year! The first week in January is all about reassessing and making a load of New Year’s resolutions that you absolutely are going to stick to this year (ahem *new year, new me* you can do this!) When it comes to taking care of yourself, your beauty routine has got to be up there as a priority, it’s not just about the way you look but also the way you feel. Now you don’t need to go huge with these resolutions, I mean what’s the point in saying you’re going to hit the gym 7 days a week? Don’t set yourself up to fail, you just need a few small changes that you can feel proud you’ve accomplished by the end of the year.
1. Cut down on heat styling. We all know using curling tongs, straighteners, heated brushes and hair dryers can frazzle our hair and leave us with dry and damaged locks. So let’s put down the tools every once in a while and give our hair a break. Why not try leaving your hair in all its natural glory throughout the week and then style it up for the weekends? Try adding this Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque once a week to give your hair a much need moisture boost!
2. Take your makeup off before bed. Every single person already knows you should do this, but for 2017 can we all try and make sure it happens, every-single-night! Leaving makeup on while you sleep is disastrous for your skin as it can lead to clogged pours, blemishes, dull skin and also halts your skin’s natural regeneration process. No thank you! These Yes To Blueberries cleansing wipes are great for a quick removal and also moisturize at the same time. Bonus!
3. Don’t neglect a cleanser. Although we just said swiping off your makeup with a cleansing wipe is fine (it is) but also don’t forget to regularly use a gently exfoliating cleanser to keep your skin in top condition. You need to buff away the dead skin from your face every few days to make sure you stay glowy and fresh. Using a cleanser and muslin cloth is great for this as it’s really gentle on the skin. We suggest Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Exfoliating Cleanser for this.
4. Use a daily moisturiser with SPF. SPF is so important for keeping the skin protected against the harsh rays and also UV damage. That’s all year round people, not just when you’re lay by a pool! Stay looking younger for longer by lathering on that SPF, if you use a moisturiser that includes it you don’t even really need to think about it! This one from Clinique is great Clinique Super Defence Moisturiser SPF20.
5. Drink more water. Another boring one but we all know it has to go in everyone’s New Year’s Resolutions. But seriously, it can change your life! Your skin will be better, you’ll feel more awake, more productive, you’ll have more energy, the list goes on’ Just do it!
6. Regularly clean your makeup brushes. Regularly cleaning makeup brushes is so much easier said than done but it really needs to be included in your routine. When it comes to what you use on your skin it’s totally worth it to make sure you’re getting the best application but also that you’re not packing a load of dirt and grime on your skin. Washing makeup brushes once a week is the recommended but as long as you’re doing it a couple of times a month I think we should be fine! This Royal Cosmetic Brush Cleaner is a great tool to help you.
7. Give your nails a break. We’re all obsessed with manicures, gel manicures, acrylics but the truth is every now and again we need to give our poor nails a break. Give yourself a month off every few months and let your nails recover, take in some vitamin d and generally rejuvenate. This Sally Hansen Maximum Growth Plus contains plenty of vitamins and will help the condition of your nails to make them healthier and stronger.
8. Throw out old makeup. A lot of people aren’t aware that makeup does actually have a shelf life and it’s usually between 6 and 12 months. So for the New Year have a clear out of your makeup bag. If you’ve been hoarding products for years, the truth is they’re probably well past their use by date. Old makeup can attract bacteria so say goodbye to that 5 year old mascara, are you really going to miss it? I think not!
9. Get your hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks. Your hair is your crowning glory after all and you need to make sure it’s in the best condition possible. Getting regular trims will help to keep hair healthy but also minimise any further damage. Get those appointments booked in! Tigi Bed Head Anti Dotes Recovery twin is a great shampoo and conditioner duo that will also aid towards keeping those locks strong and healthy.
10. Start introducing Anti-Aging products into your routine. Don’t be put off by the words anti-aging; it is never too early to start thinking about minimising those aging signs. Incorporating these products into your daily skincare regime will do wonders in the long run and you don’t want to be left regretting not starting earlier in 10 years’ time! It is much easier to prevent signs than reverse! This Derma V 10 Anti Ageing Night Cream is great for anti-wrinkle and firming the skin.
Let’s all get off to a great start for 2017 and try to pick up a few good habits rather than bad! Good luck everyone!
It’s official: Fashion month is SS17 is here! We’re majorly excited about all the fashion, hair, makeup and FROW action. There’s nothing like the buzz of backstage and we’ve had a look at all the beauty trends that have been coming out onto the catwalk this season. From Topshop Unique’s Brook Shields inspired brows to Burberry’s bare faced beauty we’ve got a roundup of all our favourite looks so far!
PPQ kicked off on Friday with daring pops of colour on the lips of all the models. The girls wore a custom lilac shade created by Lord & Berry especially for the show that gave a gorgeous feminine look. Throughout the show the overall look was paired back beauty with a bold lip to contrast against the designs.
Bora Aksu was an utter frill fest! Look of the day was ultra feminine designs including ruffles, tulle and lace therefore it’s no surprise that the models’ makeup was very minimal and natural. With soft pink hues on the cheeks and barely there nude lipstick it was all very no makeup makeup. We’re obsessed with this look, anything to save an extra 10 minutes in the morning!
Julien Macdonald’s show had mega FROW action with Abbey Clancy, Ella Eyre, Tom Daley and Amber Le Bon all in attendance. Not to mention Hailey Baldwin opening and closing the show – AND it was held on a basketball court! The whole collection was pure glamour with cut outs, sequins and thigh high splits so it’s no surprise the makeup was equally as glamourous. They had dark smoky eyes with a bright highlight in the inner corners with plenty of smudgy liner. The skin was super dewy with a bronzey glow and a nude gloss on the lips. Not forgetting lashings of body oil!
Also presenting on Saturday was House of Holland which had a strong makeup look for the show. The skin was flushed and dewy, with heavy black liner applied to the lower lash line and top lashes coated with mascara. Lips were nude and brows left untamed. Backstage was full of spray tan booths as the models were dusted with St Tropez Instant Dark tan before stepping out.
Emilia Wickstead welcomed a touch of lightness with pretty, floral and delicate cottons. For this simple and floaty style the makeup look was very natural and elegant, with the purity of the skin being the main focus. The base was dewy and pale with a hint of colour on the cheeks, the lips a rosy pink and eyes bare.
Versus Versace saw Bella Hadid take centre stage (along with Gigi and Zayn in the front row to cheer her on!) The brand went all out rock chick with the show featuring biker leathers and ripped denim. The makeup was all about the eyes with grassy green lids and full, strong brows on some and bold eye popping colours on the lips for others.
Preen was all about whimsical beauty with the models embellished with delicate flowers down the sides of their faces. A festival of colour throughout the collection was also show with the addition of the flowers on the face, neck and chest, although underneath the face was bare with no makeup at all allowing the natural beauty to shine through.
Another big hit on Sunday was the Mary Katrantzou show. The makeup look was offset by the bold designs and a statement lip. Each model had a minimal and natural base with a stamped on mouth, in different fluoro-bright shades of bold orange, hot pink or tomato red.
Next on the list was Topshop Unique. The makeup artist behind all the magic, Hannah Murray, was inspired by Brooke Shield brows, wet-look eyes in a burgundy hue and 90s mink pink lips. Along with the 80s power hair, the look was done the model way with a soft and sexy finish.
Another designer that used a strong kohl on the lower lash line was Temperley London, created by the legendary Val Garland for Rodial. Along with the smoked out liner was a flawless, dewy base with the tiniest flush of colour on the cheeks. This elegant makeup look complimented the vibrant and fun collection.
So that’s the roundup of our favourite beauty looks from the Spring/Summer 17 so far and it seems this season we’ll be focusing on that perfect glowy skin and perfecting the art of sticking flowers on our faces! We’ll get practising’
Images sourced from Vogue.com, Elle.com and Topshop.co.uk.
Over here at FD we get a bit obsessed with all things makeup, hair care, fragrance, the beauty list is never ending. So we wanted to share some of our favourites from the last month that we’ve been getting excited about and let’s be honest, who doesn’t like a good review? Get all this products added to your beauty collection and we’re sure you’ll be raving about them just as much as us!
First up we have the gorgeous new scent from Stella McCartney ‘Stella POP’. Now you’ve probably seen this cute pink bottle popping up all over Instagram in the last couple of weeks and it’s no surprise because this stuff smells incredible! It’s the perfect scent to keep you smelling fresh this summer and the bottle will make a great addition to anyone’s perfume shelf. If you love girly, vibrant scents, this is definitely one to check out!
Next up, we have rediscovered a classic’ The Elizabeth Arden Flawless Future Ceramide Night Cream. This stuff works some crazy overnight magic that leaves you with a glowing, healthy looking complexion when you wake up. What more could you want from a night cream? This moisturiser is perfect if you have dehydrated, dull skin and are looking for something to give that extra boost.
Onto new makeup products and we are loving these additions from Revlon. First up is the Colourstay 24H Foundation. This foundation is perfect for you if you have combination/oily skin as it leaves you looking dewy but not greasy! It leaves the skin looking flawless and is super lightweight so you don’t feel like you’ve got a ton of product on your face. We can’t vouch for it staying put for 24 hours (I mean who leaves their foundation on for 24 hours anyway?) but it definitely stays pretty perfect looking for the most of the day. Also from Revlon is the new Volume and Length Magnified Mascara. Now volume and length is something I actively look for in a mascara as someone who was not blessed in the eyelash department, sniff, so I was really excited to try out this one from Revlon. It’s so so so good! It coats the lashes without looking clumpy and leaves them looking super long and fluttery!
Still on makeup products we have some new little editions from Bourjois, Little Round Pot Intense Eyeshadows, to be precise. For individual eyeshadows they’re a steal at £1.99 and the pigmentation you get with these babies is amazing. Snap up all the colours to create as many different eyeshadow looks as you like! Tip: apply wet for a more intense pay off.
Rounding of makeup/skincare, we have this Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover. It’s super gentle on the skin, so is perfect for the eye and mouth area. It’s so great for removing pesky, hard to budge mascara products in one (or a couple) of easy sweeps.
On to haircare’ now in the summer months our hair can become a little bit limp, frizzy and heat damaged. Cue Charles Worthington’s Long Lasting Straight Spray, this stuff is a miracle in a bottle for those of us with wavy, curly or frizzy hair! The weightless formula tames frizz and smooths curls to leave the hair looking soft and smooth throughout the day. Definitely one to snap up if you’re heading off on holiday and have some humid heat to deal with!
Let us know some of your favourites from this month and chat with us over on Twitter with #FDJulyFavs