Party season is looking a little different this year – your dazzling dress has taken a backseat and you’ve swapped out your high heels for silky-soft slippers. But with more free time than ever, there’s no better way to experiment with your makeup than now!
We’ve gathered the most impressive looks we could find, just for you. So read on to recreate and earn all the compliments during your virtual New Years Eve party this year!
Go Bold Or Go Home
You might be under the impression that you can’t rock a bright and bold eye at the same time as a bold lip, but you’re wrong. Take it from Rihanna, nothing says NYE glam more than a sparkling OTT eye and a bright red lip. We recommend picking out colours that compliment each other and pack on the shadow using a fluffy blending brush. If you’re looking for the perfect palette then use La Roc’s Artistry Book Palette which includes every single shade you could ever need!
Our feeds are flooded with them and they’re so on trend right now, I think it’s safe to say we’re all a fan of those big and bold bushy brows, but some of us just weren’t blessed by the brow gods and they need a little extra help. That’s why the Maybelline Tattoo Brow Pomade Pot should be first on your list for those beautifully bold brows. Use this product first to fill in the gaps where the hair isn’t so thick. After that, use the Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara, this foolproof formula coats brows in rich colour, helping you achieve a sleek and structured look.
Gloss And Repeat
The 90s are officially back and glossy lips are in full force. Say goodbye to matte lipstick and hello to lip gloss! Here at FD we’re obsessing over Sosu’s Lip Gloss that comes in seven different shades, so if you’re feeling fun, you could even switch up your colours throughout the night. If you’re looking for more of a defined lip, then line your lips with a nude liner of your choice!
Colourful and outrageous eye liners having been trending all year now, so what better way to try it out than New Years Eve! This look by dmv.makeupartistry on Instagram pairs a neon green eyeliner with a toned down, natural look to really make the eyes stand out. If you’re someone that struggles with liner then position a piece of tape by your eye as a stencil, then carefully place the product along the tape, this trick will help you nail your look every single time! Rimmels Wonderswipe Liner in the shade My Bae is perfect for this look!
There really is no better time to rock all things gold than NYE. Here Gigi Hadid teams a sleek black liner with a glowing blend of warm golden tones. Pair your lids with a shimmering highlighter to really make your skin pop. Here at FD we’re obsessed with Maybelline x Gigi Hadid’s West Coast Strobing Liquid, finish your look off by adding a small amount to your cheekbones and nose.
Finally, you can shop our full range of makeup productshereand thank you for reading, we hope you’ve enjoyed this post! Come and take a look at the incredible fragrance and beauty brands we stock!
Winter time calls for winter watching! And, what’s better than scrolling through Netflix to find your new favourite show? Pairing it with a gorgeous beauty product or two so you can get in a little bit of TLC for yourself too. From crime dramas to musical goodness, face masks to luscious lipsticks, the ultimate combo lies below. Carry on reading to find yours!
If you’re looking for a show perfect for a family watch, you won’t want to miss this one. This binge-worthy Netflix-original drama chronicles the life of Queen Elizabeth II from the 1940’s to modern times. If you’re thinking, “I’m not too interested in the Royal Family”, trust us, you will be after just a few scandalous episodes revealing the ins and outs of their extravagant lives. What to pair this one with? His and hers face masks. For her, the beautiful Alya Skin Australian Clay detoxifying and brightening face mask and for him, the ultra cool black tissue L’Oreal mask enriched with charcoal and hydrating glycerin to moisturise and mattify.
Calling all Ariana Grande fans, it’s her brand-new concert film that follows her on-stage and behind the scenes during the Sweetener World Tour in 2019. Released on December 21st, this stunning show is a must-watch if you enjoy a good singalong. So, pop the candles on, hop in the bath, rest your laptop somewhere in view and grab one of these gorgeous bath fizzers smelling as sweet as the music and escape into the bubbles.
So, you’re a fan of a fascinating true crime drama? You don’t need to look any further for Netflix inspiration when you’ve got this series (released January 13th). This limited docu-series tells the spellbinding true story of how one of the most notorious series killers in American history was hunted down and brought to justice. If you love sinking your teeth into a gritty show like this when you’re making your way up to bed, grab your laptop, grab your evening skincare and start applying while the plot thickens.
Think: Elite ballet school meets Gossip Girl with a twist of Pretty Little Liars. With a beloved element of fictional crime, this teen series follows elite ballerina, Neveah Stroyer, as she navigates the cutthroat competition at the Archer School of Ballet in Chicago. It’s been noted that it features some pretty raunchy scenes but that’s all part of the show! No matter what your plans are over the winter whether you’re able to go out for a meal or you’re just getting glam for a pick me up, a signature lipstick is always a must-have. From reds to nudes, the L’Oreal Paris Color Riche Matte Lipstick will quickly become your new staple.
Starring legends Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, James Corden and more, down-on-their-luck Broadway stars shake up a small Indiana town as they rally behind a teen who wants to go to the prom with her girlfriend. It’s the perfect uplifting watch for the winter, to get all cosy and hyped up watching while it’s not looking too bright outside. Paired with a gorgeous beauty box to dig into, why not give yourself a full manicure while you watch the film unravel? Featuring incredible brands Sally Hansen and Scottish Fine Soaps, you can give your nails the TLC they deserve!
There’s just so much to think about when buying your next new beauty product, what price should you be paying, which shade should you be buying, who knows! We think it’s best if you follow your star sign and let the universe do the talking… Read on to find out which product you should be using based on your star sign!
An Aquarius is not only a free spirit, but fabulous too! You love your independence, and you’re not afraid to experiment when it comes to your look. You should opt for the La Roc Artistry Palette, this palette is so bold and bright, it will definitely display your creative side!
You might already know this, but Pisces is a water sign, that basically means that you need to be glowing no matter what time of the day. Choose something that creates an effortless glow but also provides you with the right amount of heavenly hydration for your skin! Try the Nuxe Dry Oil, you won’t regret it.
The Aries symbol is of course the fierce and fantastic horns of a ram, so no doubt you love a strong, contoured complexion! Become bronzed to perfection with this Max Factor Contour palette and thank us later…
If you’re a Taurus, you’re likely to be a lover of luxury, don’t worry we get it, not any old product will do! We know it’s true, so try out this Dermalogica Eye Serum, it’s supercharged vitamin C formula will dramatically change your under-eye area.
Gemini is represented by the twin symbol of Castor and Pollux, so double up on your products to see the best skincare results. This delightful duo by Philosophy has a Geminis name written all over it!
If you’re a Cancer then you’re probably a little bit more on the sensitive side… so, take care and be kind to your skin. Try using this L’Oreal Moisturiser, it’s specially formulated liquid has been produced with delicate skin in mind.
Leo’s are super duper confident, you don’t mind standing out from the crowd, and you certainly wouldn’t say no to a statement makeup look. Leo’s should try to create a bold, bushy brow with the SOSU brow kit, this way you certainly won’t be missed!
Virgos, you’re practical and perfectionists, we know that you always want to make sure that every part of your look is 100% put together. That’s why we recommend that you use the Australian Bodycare Shampoo, it’s made with tea tree oil to ensure that your hair stays silky soft all day long!
Librans lust for grace and elegance, whether this be through your personality, or even through your makeup, it’s always a must. To really show off your preppy persona, you need to be using a bright blush that makes your skin pop! This Lily Lolo Blush is stunning and it comes in 6 different shades!
Mysterious and mystical, a Scorpio is always on the hunt for deep and darker shades of lipstick. Try this Note Matte Lip Gloss to find your inner dark side!
A wanderlust-filled sun sign who is bursting with energy and willing to try anything new! If you’re a Sagittarius who’s always curious for the next new product, weird or wonderful, then use this CBD Peppermint Spray to stay fresh and free from any stress.
Oh so you’re a Capricorn? We know just how ambitious you are! You strive to complete any challenge you start and won’t back down no matter what. That’s why we know that you’re committed to having the perfect skin. Use this Radiance Renewal Mask by Ren to combat congestion on your face.
It’s a brand new year and the student loans have dropped, there’s no better excuse to snap up all the beauty essentials you’re going to need to get you through the next term. Out with the old and in with the new as some may say (mainly your mum) but it’s a great time to start a fresh and head back to Uni with everything you need/want! We’ve picked out some great beauty products for all you busy students including long lasting makeup, easy and simple skincare and huge packs of shampoo and conditioner that will definitely last the entire term!
Yes To is a brand that is great for younger skin, they have different families for all kinds of skin needs. From tomato products for detoxifying to cucumber for that much needed hydration. There are a few products that we love from the range that will definitely be great to add to your collection. These Cucumber Hypo Allergenic wipes include cucumbers (obviously), green tea and aloe and are great for getting rid of all your makeup and leaving your skin feeling smooth and refreshed. The Tomatoes Clearing Facial Mask is also perfect if you have a bit of troublesome skin, it will give you a deep pore treatment to clear and purify the skin. It is filled with anti-oxidants that fight free radicals and bursting with powerful sebum absorbers to keep any oily skin at bay!
When you’re back at Uni you can’t rely on your mum for keeping the shampoo and conditioner stocked up. Tigi have some great duo’s that are literally huge, they are guaranteed to last you weeks! They also cater for all hair types and any needs you have including Colour Goddess,Urban Antidotes Resurrection, Oatmeal and Honey, Elasticate. They’re all great value and amazing quality so you can keep your tresses in top condition for a bargain.
Dry Shampoo is an absolute essential for when you’re at Uni’ chances are you’ll sleep through your alarm at least once week and have a mad rush to get dressed and out the door. Worry not; this Charles Worthington Dry Shampoo will keep all your greasy sins hidden.
A big old pamper session is a great way to make new friends in your hauls, and you can’t have a pamper session without face masks! Snap up these Purederm masks for a bargain at £1.50 each and they have a great selection including vitamin E, Shea Butter and Mango.
Real Techniques Multitask Set of 3 Brushes is perfect for taking back to Uni with you. The limited edition set simplifies your makeup routine and has the bare essentials you need to get that flawless finish. Plus it comes with cute case that will keep everything organised for you!
Leftover pizza, dirty sheets and half-drunk beer does not make for a sweet smelling bedroom! An Orla Kiely Basil and Mint Candle is the perfect addition to keep everything smelling fresh and clean. Also a nice decoration for your desk!
Don’t forget all students get 10% off all products on Fragrance Direct with UniDays, even more reason to get shopping!
The time has come to kick those bad habits and start thinking about what you want to change for this brand new year! The first week in January is all about reassessing and making a load of New Year’s resolutions that you absolutely are going to stick to this year (ahem *new year, new me* you can do this!) When it comes to taking care of yourself, your beauty routine has got to be up there as a priority, it’s not just about the way you look but also the way you feel. Now you don’t need to go huge with these resolutions, I mean what’s the point in saying you’re going to hit the gym 7 days a week? Don’t set yourself up to fail, you just need a few small changes that you can feel proud you’ve accomplished by the end of the year.
1. Cut down on heat styling. We all know using curling tongs, straighteners, heated brushes and hair dryers can frazzle our hair and leave us with dry and damaged locks. So let’s put down the tools every once in a while and give our hair a break. Why not try leaving your hair in all its natural glory throughout the week and then style it up for the weekends? Try adding this Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque once a week to give your hair a much need moisture boost!
2. Take your makeup off before bed. Every single person already knows you should do this, but for 2017 can we all try and make sure it happens, every-single-night! Leaving makeup on while you sleep is disastrous for your skin as it can lead to clogged pours, blemishes, dull skin and also halts your skin’s natural regeneration process. No thank you! These Yes To Blueberries cleansing wipes are great for a quick removal and also moisturize at the same time. Bonus!
3. Don’t neglect a cleanser. Although we just said swiping off your makeup with a cleansing wipe is fine (it is) but also don’t forget to regularly use a gently exfoliating cleanser to keep your skin in top condition. You need to buff away the dead skin from your face every few days to make sure you stay glowy and fresh. Using a cleanser and muslin cloth is great for this as it’s really gentle on the skin. We suggest Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Exfoliating Cleanser for this.
4. Use a daily moisturiser with SPF. SPF is so important for keeping the skin protected against the harsh rays and also UV damage. That’s all year round people, not just when you’re lay by a pool! Stay looking younger for longer by lathering on that SPF, if you use a moisturiser that includes it you don’t even really need to think about it! This one from Clinique is great Clinique Super Defence Moisturiser SPF20.
5. Drink more water. Another boring one but we all know it has to go in everyone’s New Year’s Resolutions. But seriously, it can change your life! Your skin will be better, you’ll feel more awake, more productive, you’ll have more energy, the list goes on’ Just do it!
6. Regularly clean your makeup brushes. Regularly cleaning makeup brushes is so much easier said than done but it really needs to be included in your routine. When it comes to what you use on your skin it’s totally worth it to make sure you’re getting the best application but also that you’re not packing a load of dirt and grime on your skin. Washing makeup brushes once a week is the recommended but as long as you’re doing it a couple of times a month I think we should be fine! This Royal Cosmetic Brush Cleaner is a great tool to help you.
7. Give your nails a break. We’re all obsessed with manicures, gel manicures, acrylics but the truth is every now and again we need to give our poor nails a break. Give yourself a month off every few months and let your nails recover, take in some vitamin d and generally rejuvenate. This Sally Hansen Maximum Growth Plus contains plenty of vitamins and will help the condition of your nails to make them healthier and stronger.
8. Throw out old makeup. A lot of people aren’t aware that makeup does actually have a shelf life and it’s usually between 6 and 12 months. So for the New Year have a clear out of your makeup bag. If you’ve been hoarding products for years, the truth is they’re probably well past their use by date. Old makeup can attract bacteria so say goodbye to that 5 year old mascara, are you really going to miss it? I think not!
9. Get your hair trimmed every 6-8 weeks. Your hair is your crowning glory after all and you need to make sure it’s in the best condition possible. Getting regular trims will help to keep hair healthy but also minimise any further damage. Get those appointments booked in! Tigi Bed Head Anti Dotes Recovery twin is a great shampoo and conditioner duo that will also aid towards keeping those locks strong and healthy.
10. Start introducing Anti-Aging products into your routine. Don’t be put off by the words anti-aging; it is never too early to start thinking about minimising those aging signs. Incorporating these products into your daily skincare regime will do wonders in the long run and you don’t want to be left regretting not starting earlier in 10 years’ time! It is much easier to prevent signs than reverse! This Derma V 10 Anti Ageing Night Cream is great for anti-wrinkle and firming the skin.
Let’s all get off to a great start for 2017 and try to pick up a few good habits rather than bad! Good luck everyone!
It’s official: Fashion month is SS17 is here! We’re majorly excited about all the fashion, hair, makeup and FROW action. There’s nothing like the buzz of backstage and we’ve had a look at all the beauty trends that have been coming out onto the catwalk this season. From Topshop Unique’s Brook Shields inspired brows to Burberry’s bare faced beauty we’ve got a roundup of all our favourite looks so far!
PPQ kicked off on Friday with daring pops of colour on the lips of all the models. The girls wore a custom lilac shade created by Lord & Berry especially for the show that gave a gorgeous feminine look. Throughout the show the overall look was paired back beauty with a bold lip to contrast against the designs.
Bora Aksu was an utter frill fest! Look of the day was ultra feminine designs including ruffles, tulle and lace therefore it’s no surprise that the models’ makeup was very minimal and natural. With soft pink hues on the cheeks and barely there nude lipstick it was all very no makeup makeup. We’re obsessed with this look, anything to save an extra 10 minutes in the morning!
Julien Macdonald’s show had mega FROW action with Abbey Clancy, Ella Eyre, Tom Daley and Amber Le Bon all in attendance. Not to mention Hailey Baldwin opening and closing the show – AND it was held on a basketball court! The whole collection was pure glamour with cut outs, sequins and thigh high splits so it’s no surprise the makeup was equally as glamourous. They had dark smoky eyes with a bright highlight in the inner corners with plenty of smudgy liner. The skin was super dewy with a bronzey glow and a nude gloss on the lips. Not forgetting lashings of body oil!
Also presenting on Saturday was House of Holland which had a strong makeup look for the show. The skin was flushed and dewy, with heavy black liner applied to the lower lash line and top lashes coated with mascara. Lips were nude and brows left untamed. Backstage was full of spray tan booths as the models were dusted with St Tropez Instant Dark tan before stepping out.
Emilia Wickstead welcomed a touch of lightness with pretty, floral and delicate cottons. For this simple and floaty style the makeup look was very natural and elegant, with the purity of the skin being the main focus. The base was dewy and pale with a hint of colour on the cheeks, the lips a rosy pink and eyes bare.
Versus Versace saw Bella Hadid take centre stage (along with Gigi and Zayn in the front row to cheer her on!) The brand went all out rock chick with the show featuring biker leathers and ripped denim. The makeup was all about the eyes with grassy green lids and full, strong brows on some and bold eye popping colours on the lips for others.
Preen was all about whimsical beauty with the models embellished with delicate flowers down the sides of their faces. A festival of colour throughout the collection was also show with the addition of the flowers on the face, neck and chest, although underneath the face was bare with no makeup at all allowing the natural beauty to shine through.
Another big hit on Sunday was the Mary Katrantzou show. The makeup look was offset by the bold designs and a statement lip. Each model had a minimal and natural base with a stamped on mouth, in different fluoro-bright shades of bold orange, hot pink or tomato red.
Next on the list was Topshop Unique. The makeup artist behind all the magic, Hannah Murray, was inspired by Brooke Shield brows, wet-look eyes in a burgundy hue and 90s mink pink lips. Along with the 80s power hair, the look was done the model way with a soft and sexy finish.
Another designer that used a strong kohl on the lower lash line was Temperley London, created by the legendary Val Garland for Rodial. Along with the smoked out liner was a flawless, dewy base with the tiniest flush of colour on the cheeks. This elegant makeup look complimented the vibrant and fun collection.
So that’s the roundup of our favourite beauty looks from the Spring/Summer 17 so far and it seems this season we’ll be focusing on that perfect glowy skin and perfecting the art of sticking flowers on our faces! We’ll get practising’ Images sourced from Vogue.com, Elle.com and Topshop.co.uk.