That time of year is swinging around already. If you’re in a quandary, wondering what to buy your loved one this Valentine’s Day, look no further. Fragrances are the perfect, thoughtful, loved-up way to treat someone special. Finding the right one for your nearest and dearest comes down to a little bit of decision making. But fear not, this short guide will take you through our favourites, so you can pick a dreamy scent in moments.
Nothing says romance better than a well-matched perfume. If you’re feeling brave, choose something you think she’ll smell gorgeous in. Plus, it shows you’ve given some thought to your gift. Delectable scents like Giorgio Armani’s Si Nacre Sparking Limited Edition EDP with it’s soft, feminine tones is one great option. Other classically sensual scents include Jean Paul Gaultier‘s juicy, sexy Scandal.
If you’re looking to impress him, splash out on an aftershave of your choice. Not only will he then smell extra gorgeous to you, he’ll also feel appreciated. BOSS BOTTLED. NIGHT. is the ultimate, masculine power scent for youthful types. Another delicious pick is the fresh and bold Paco Rabanne Invictus For Men, ideal if you want your man to smell godly and feel confident.
Beauty gifts for her
If you fancy adding another dimension to your Valentine’s present this year, have a look at beauty gifts. You can find pairings of fragrances and makeup or beauty treats, giving lucky ladies two presents in one neat package. Options include YSL’s Black Opium Floral Shock EDP Spray and Mascara, and Giorgio Armani’s Code Femme Gift Set complete with scent, shower gel and body lotion.
If you need the perfect present for him this Christmas, look no further. This blog is packed with gifting inspiration. From delicious aftershaves to top-selling electricals, there’s something for even those hard-to-buy-for men.
Delectable gift sets
Give him everything he loves in one package with a gift set. Best-selling designer brands like Paco Rabanne, Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss are all there. To give you some handy ideas, sets include Paco Rabanne 1 Million 50ml gift set aftershave and shower gel duo. There’s also a Calvin Klein Euphoria Men combo, and Hugo Boss Bottled gift set.
Christmas is the best time for topping up a fragrance collection. Whether you’d like to surprise him with something new, or get a tried a tested favourite, all the big-hitters are there. You can even shop by budget, and work to a price to suit you. You can get your hands on all-time favourites likes Joop Homme, and Lacoste L12 12 Eau De Lacoste with just a quick browse.
Shaving and grooming must-haves
A nice little alternative to fragrance gifts, shaving and grooming kits are just the thing for any stylish man. Pre-shave, post-shave, razors and blades, and beard care products give you a whole range of options, whatever his grooming regime. Some lovely present ideas include Edwin Jagger’s ebony and chrome fusion razor, and Jack Black’s bump fix razor bump and ingrown hair solution.
Fancy changing things up a bit this Christmas, and buying something he definitely won’t have already? You can choose from a full collection of fancy electrical items. Here you’ll find products like Remington Ceramic M&R Beard Trimmer, Beurer’s 2-in-1 mood light for a pick-me-up during those dull winter months, and Wahl’s ultimate lithium clipper kit.
Are you guilty of presenting your dad with a shirt shaped present on Father’s Day? What about that pair of socks you know he’ll LOVE because, well, who wouldn’t love a pair of socks? Ladies and gentleman, it’s time to confess your Father’s Day sins and think outside of the box for this impending Father’s Day occasion.
Aside from a trip down to the pub and bottle of his favourite fine wine, why not treat him an aftershave gift set or maybe one of our best selling men’s fragrances? Choosing a fragrance will show him how much you care and that you’ve put a lot of personal thought into this year’s Father’s Day gift. Read on to discover all our favourite Father’s Day gifts’
First up we have the legendary and iconic Hugo Boss BOSS Bottled. This masculine scent is perfect for Father’s Day as it’s simplistic, unaffected and distinctly male. Your dad is bound to love this scent and it’s everything you’d expect from a Hugo Boss scent. This must-have fragrance combines fresh and zingy notes with more musky flavours to create a beautiful aftershave. A well rounded fragrance that’s perfect for the modern man!
Dolce and Gabbana The One for Men is true classic. Since its launch in 2008 this aftershave has been a staple in every man’s fragrance collection, the type of scent that never gets old. It is a woody, oriental fragrance with top notes of grapefruit, basil and coriander leading through to a base of amber, cedar and tobacco. This scent is sure to make a lasting impression and one your dad will cherish for years to come!
Next up we have Paco Rabanne Invictus. The Invictus aftershave range is both fresh and powerful, designed for the dynamin, confident man. Make your dad feel like a champion this year with blends of marine top notes guaiac wood, pepper, grapefruit zest and violet leaves. Each product in the Invictus range plays with the same energising scents so why not go the extra mile and pick up the Invictus gift set.
Gucci Guilty is the perfect signature scent to inspire total confidence to whatever the day brings. The Gucci Guilty aftershave has masculine notes of lemon, orange blossom, cedar wood and patchouli. It is a luxurious scent that will be a real treat for your Dad this Father’s Day. Gucci Guilty Pour Homme comes housed in a sleek slate bottle which looks super stylish.
We also have Carolina Herrera 212 Men is the perfect fragrance for the modern man, brimming with masculine poise and total confidence. The modern-day classic has been a huge hit since it was released in 1999, blending unmistakeably manly fragrances with a crisp, fresh undertone for a truly dynamic, powerful aftershave. 212 Men combines zingy green apples, spices and grapefruit with heady hits of ginger, sage and violet. A gorgeous everyday scent for your dad this Father’s Day!
Paco Rabanne Invictus Eau de Toilette
Invictus is the hugely popular scent from the legendary Paco Rabanne. Championing masculinity and strength it is bound to be a winner for your Dad! It is fresh and has an invigorating mix of marine accord, grapefruit zest, bay leaf and patchouli. The trophy packaging is godly and will be sure to make your dad feel extra special.
Joop! Homme Eau de Toilette
Joop! Homme is a strong and masculine fragrance that features oriental notes that create a sensual and bold scent. The pink bottle is for the daring and confident Dad who is not afraid to be outspoken. A combination of orange blossom, bergamot and Amalfi lemon make up this intriguing scent. At £21.95 you’ll be making a massive saving!
Carolina Herrera 212 Men Eau de Toilette
212 Men from Carolina Herrera is a contemporary scent for men, it is a confident masculine scent that is perfect for the modern Dad. With top notes of green apple, spices and grapefruit and base notes of musk, cedar, incense and sandalwood this is a great scent for those who like a woody floral musk.
Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male Eau de Toilette
Le Male from Jean Paul Gaultier is a true classic. A fresh charismatic fragrance that is perfect for casual or formal wear, perfect for those Dads who like a signature scent! The packaging of the bottle and the tin make it even more perfect to give as a Father’s Day gift. This scent includes notes of wormwood, bergamot, cardamom, lavender and orange.
Hugo Boss Boss Bottled Unlimited
The new fragrance from Hugo Boss is a must have scent for men! Boss Bottled Unlimited is an energetic and masculine fragrance that will be sure to suit your Dad. It is fresh and inviting with notes of mint, iced violet leaves and grapefruit which creates a wearable fragrance for every day. Perfect for the Dad who is always on the go!
Diesel Only The Brave Extreme
Only the Brave Extreme is the perfect choice for all those Fathers who are just heroes! Only the Brave Extreme is the new launch from Diesel and we just can’t get enough of it. The packaging is unique and masculine and sure to be a hit with your Dad!
Well those are our top 6 but you can check out more of our Father’s Day picks here!
Here at Fragrance Direct we’ve got a great new brand on site, Crabtree and Evelyn. We wanted to give you a quick run down on what they’re all about and why we’re so excited to welcome them to the FD family.
Crabtree and Evelyn are world renowned for quality fragrances, beautifully presented gifts and indulgent bath and body collections. Inspired by nature, the brand draws on its rich heritage and knowledge of plants to offer botanically inspired products, which enliven the senses and add a touch of luxury to everyday rituals.
A bit of history; founded in 1972, Crabtree and Evelyn was started as a small family business by Cyrus Harvey. He had a passion for travel and an inherent in all things natural. His inspiration came from the life of John Evelyn, who was one of the first naturalists and conservationists.
‘ Explore everything, keep the best’ was the motto of John Evelyn and to this day continues to be the guiding inspiration for Crabtree and Evelyn.
Today, more than 40 years since the company began, they continue to draw on the rich heritage and knowledge of plants and botanicals while embracing new discoveries. This is expressed in their product range of beautifully packaged body and hand care luxuries and home spa essentials. The Crabtree apple became the icon for the brand in the 1980’s and the brand began to become recognisable for its inimitable and uniquely crafted style and the first UK store opened on Kensington High Street.
Crabtree and Evelyn have travelled the world in search of inspiring, efficacious and unusual ingredients for their fragrances and products. They are dedicated to producing products that transform everyday rituals into extraordinary, pleasurable experiences and that create a moment of self-indulgence for the user.
The current ranges include:
Hand Care Collection
Fine Fragrance Collection
Men’s Grooming Collection
So whether you want to look good or feel better or both, allow Crabtree and Evelyn to take you on a journey of discovery to ‘Explore everything. Keep the best’.
Now we all know perfume isn’t the cheapest beauty purchase, it’s a luxury us women like to indulge in or a much treasured gift. You want to feel like you’re making the most out of your perfume and that it’s lasting the length of time on the skin. Particularly in the summer months you step outside and your makeup slides off and perfume has completely disappeared. So we’ve put together some tips on how to make the most of your perfume and how to make the scent last longer on the skin.
1. Moisturise the pulse spots. If you use a non-scented moisturiser on the pulse areas, so the wrists and neck you will create a barrier which ensure the fragrances holds longer and doesn’t soak into the skin as much. It gives the oils in the perfume something to cling onto, ensuring maximum staying power. Tip: using a body lotion that matches the perfume you’re using is ideal for layering on the scent.
2. Where to spray the scent. Now where you actually spray your perfume is very important for how long it will last, you need to spray onto the areas that are naturally warmer. The wrists, the neck, even behind the knees!
3. Don’t rub your wrists together! Now this is a habit for most perfume wearers, spritz on the wrists and then rub them together. This is a big NO NO if you want your perfume to last as long as possible. The friction causes the top notes of the perfume to fade faster and therefore not last as long on the skin. It also breaks down the natural development of the perfume and effect scent as a whole.
4. Keep your skin hydrated. Keeping your skin hydrated is a major bonus for just about every beauty tip ever but it really does help your perfume last longer. Dehydrated skin tries to drink in everything that you layer on so healthy and hydrated is the way forward to make sure your perfume is soaked straight up.
5. Don’t just spray it onto your body. You can spray your perfume in lots of other places, not just on the body. Spray it on your clothes, hair, car anywhere you like! It will intensify the scent and make it last longer throughout the day. Make sure you don’t spray directly onto your clothes though as some perfumes can stain.
6. Spray your perfume just after you’ve got out of the shower. Damp skin locks in the scent and therefore it lasts much longer, but make sure you give it a few minutes before you get dressed so that it doesn’t rub off straight away.
7. Opt for a stronger scent. Stronger perfumes are obviously going to make more of an impact and last longer overall. Musks are traditionally a more resilient note and chances are you’ll be smelling it all day long.
8. Know what the different types of perfume are. Do you know your eau de toilette from your parfum or cologne from your body spray? The different types of scent mean different things for how long it’s going to last but also the strength of scent. Body sprays, cologne and eau de toilette’s have a lower concentration of fragrance oils and they have a more subtle scent. Eau de parfum tend to last longer and have a stronger scent. So it might just be worth forking out that little bit extra for parfum over the toilette.
9. Storing your perfume. The way your store your perfume will definitely affect how long it is going to last, perfume doesn’t last forever! It needs to be stored away from daylight, because heat and light can ultimate break down oil in the fragrance. Also not a good idea to store your scent somewhere that gets pretty warm, high temperature affect the top notes of the fragrance and can turn it sour! The best place to store perfume is in its original box, most probably on your dressing table away from extreme highs and lows in temperature.
10. Add the last few drops into a body lotion. Can’t get to the last millilitres at the bottom of the bottle? Pour it into an unscented body lotion to really make the most of that bottle! It avoids waste and makes your favourite scent last even longer.
These simple tweaks will keep you smelling sweet all day long and we bet you’re going to be telling everyone to stop rubbing their wrists together!
The new John Paul Gaultier Essence De Parfum has just launched, with updated scents for the ever popular Classique and Le Male. We wanted to see what the inspiration was behind the brand and what perfume means to the man himself; Jean Paul Gaultier.
1. What is Perfumery for you? What does its universe embody?
Parfumerie is a bit like Aladdin’s cave for me. There are so many elements, discoveries’ I have been experimenting with new fragrances for more than 20 years now, pushing the limits in this fascinating field. There are endless possibilities.
2. Is there a link between Haute Couture and Perfume?
Of course. Perfume is the first article of clothing it sets the pace of a look. And there is a vast savoir-faire in both fields. On both sides, there is a continual search for new shapes and new scent. And it is in this savoir-faire that both couture and perfume find their fulfilment.
3. What is most difficult when launching a perfume brand?
The most difficult thing is probably staying true to one’s own universe and to oneself. And to succeed in translating one’s values and obsessions into perfume. It is only by being in this state of mind, and thanks to savoir-faire, that one can reconcile both universes.
4. Not all fashion houses have a savoir-faire in perfumery, why did you choose to embrace this domain?
My DNA is to innovate and to be at odds with conventional ideal of beauty ‘ I always wanted to show more than one side of beauty. In my perfumes, I want to keep this irreverence and keep looking for a divergent beauty.
5. Once scent you like on other people?
The smell of freshness.
6. One scent you do not like on yourself?
A scent that would be too invasive.
7. An olfactory memory that transports you?
The smell of rice powder in theatres. It reminds me of the magical world I discovered at 6, when my grandmother took me to a show at the Theatre du Chatelet. It was like breaking through an all-new world, full of magic and poetry.
8. A childhood smell?
My grandmother’s boudoir.
9. What are the necessary qualities to appreciate a perfume?
A sense of surprise, an olfactive memory, like an image that appears in your head when you smell the perfume. I am a very visual person and scents trigger images in my head.
10. Do you think that women are more faithful to their men or to their perfume?
It is a good thing to be faithful, but it is also good to change. To each their own.
11. One word to describe JPG Perfumes?
Innovating, surprising, savoir-faire and punk attitude.
12. To whom is this beautifully designed body perfume addressed to?
Bodies evolve and so do perfumes. After more than 20 years of existence, they needed a new body and new look.
13. Your favourite quote about perfume?
‘When we talk about Belle Parfumerie, it does not always mean natural and raw materials’
You can get the new John Paul Gaultier Essence De Parfum here.