As we get closer and closer to December it can only mean one thing’ Christmas Party Season! If you’re like us and love switching up your makeup looks and experimenting with different products and trends then you’re in luck, we’ve pulled together our full Pinterest board of our favourite festive makeup inspiration and how you can get the look!
Metallic- There’s so many metallic foil shadows out there that we just have to try out this trend over the festive season. Update a classic smoky eye with a foil shadow in either a copper brown or silvery shade to really complement your makeup. If you’re feeling really brave why not match a metallic lip too! Tip: spray some fixing spray onto your eyeshadow brush to really intensify the look! We love this W7 Yummy Eyes Baked Eyeshadow!
Matte Velvet- Velvet is huge in all the high street shops at the moment. If you’re not brave enough to go full velvet with your outfit why not add a classic velvet matte touch to your makeup? These matte textures are super flattering and you can go bold on your lips and eyes! This Nars Pure Matte Lipstick is perfect for creating that velvety look; try the shade Vesuvio for a deep plum. Also layering a matte liquid liner over a smoky will keep those lips looking classic!
Glitter- Well we can’t have a festive makeup look without a bit of glitter! Whether you want to go bold with a glitter lip, or subtle with a top coat of glitter mascara it just instantly makes you feel Christmassy! We’ve been seeing a lot of ‘glitter tears’ looks around and can’t wait to see who’ll be rocking those all over Instagram! This L’Oreal Million Lashes glitter topcoat is perfect to put that twinkle in your eye. We also have plenty of glitter eyeliners to get your hands on!
Frosted- Winter is all about icicles and snow so why not transform this into your makeup look. There are plenty of options to frost up your makeup from shimmery shadows to silvery gemstones and we’re just obsessed with it all! Try a frosty blue hue on the eyelids if you have browns eyes and this will really make your eyes stand out. Make sure you add a liquid illuminator to give your skin that extra sparkle! We love this Revlon Skin Lights Face Illuminator!
Iridescent- Sheer and shimmery products allow you to go as minimalist or bold as you like. If you want to keep it fresh but quite toned down why not add a clear gloss over nude lips and a nude wet look shadow on the eyes, this will keep your makeup super on trend but also soft. Try this Daniel Sandler Luxury Lip Gloss. If you want to go bold try an iridescent colour on the lids such as greens and purples to really make a statement! You can also add a frosted lip colour to complete the look, we also love this Daniel Sandler Lipshine Lipstick to give a sheen!
Tag us @fragrancedirect on Instagram with all your festive party makeup look!
Here at Fragrance Direct we’ve got a great new brand on site, Crabtree and Evelyn. We wanted to give you a quick run down on what they’re all about and why we’re so excited to welcome them to the FD family.
Crabtree and Evelyn are world renowned for quality fragrances, beautifully presented gifts and indulgent bath and body collections. Inspired by nature, the brand draws on its rich heritage and knowledge of plants to offer botanically inspired products, which enliven the senses and add a touch of luxury to everyday rituals.
A bit of history; founded in 1972, Crabtree and Evelyn was started as a small family business by Cyrus Harvey. He had a passion for travel and an inherent in all things natural. His inspiration came from the life of John Evelyn, who was one of the first naturalists and conservationists.
‘ Explore everything, keep the best’ was the motto of John Evelyn and to this day continues to be the guiding inspiration for Crabtree and Evelyn.
Today, more than 40 years since the company began, they continue to draw on the rich heritage and knowledge of plants and botanicals while embracing new discoveries. This is expressed in their product range of beautifully packaged body and hand care luxuries and home spa essentials. The Crabtree apple became the icon for the brand in the 1980’s and the brand began to become recognisable for its inimitable and uniquely crafted style and the first UK store opened on Kensington High Street.
Crabtree and Evelyn have travelled the world in search of inspiring, efficacious and unusual ingredients for their fragrances and products. They are dedicated to producing products that transform everyday rituals into extraordinary, pleasurable experiences and that create a moment of self-indulgence for the user.
The current ranges include:
Hand Care Collection
Fine Fragrance Collection
Men’s Grooming Collection
So whether you want to look good or feel better or both, allow Crabtree and Evelyn to take you on a journey of discovery to ‘Explore everything. Keep the best’.
Now we all know perfume isn’t the cheapest beauty purchase, it’s a luxury us women like to indulge in or a much treasured gift. You want to feel like you’re making the most out of your perfume and that it’s lasting the length of time on the skin. Particularly in the summer months you step outside and your makeup slides off and perfume has completely disappeared. So we’ve put together some tips on how to make the most of your perfume and how to make the scent last longer on the skin.
1. Moisturise the pulse spots. If you use a non-scented moisturiser on the pulse areas, so the wrists and neck you will create a barrier which ensure the fragrances holds longer and doesn’t soak into the skin as much. It gives the oils in the perfume something to cling onto, ensuring maximum staying power. Tip: using a body lotion that matches the perfume you’re using is ideal for layering on the scent.
2. Where to spray the scent. Now where you actually spray your perfume is very important for how long it will last, you need to spray onto the areas that are naturally warmer. The wrists, the neck, even behind the knees!
3. Don’t rub your wrists together! Now this is a habit for most perfume wearers, spritz on the wrists and then rub them together. This is a big NO NO if you want your perfume to last as long as possible. The friction causes the top notes of the perfume to fade faster and therefore not last as long on the skin. It also breaks down the natural development of the perfume and effect scent as a whole.
4. Keep your skin hydrated. Keeping your skin hydrated is a major bonus for just about every beauty tip ever but it really does help your perfume last longer. Dehydrated skin tries to drink in everything that you layer on so healthy and hydrated is the way forward to make sure your perfume is soaked straight up.
5. Don’t just spray it onto your body. You can spray your perfume in lots of other places, not just on the body. Spray it on your clothes, hair, car anywhere you like! It will intensify the scent and make it last longer throughout the day. Make sure you don’t spray directly onto your clothes though as some perfumes can stain.
6. Spray your perfume just after you’ve got out of the shower. Damp skin locks in the scent and therefore it lasts much longer, but make sure you give it a few minutes before you get dressed so that it doesn’t rub off straight away.
7. Opt for a stronger scent. Stronger perfumes are obviously going to make more of an impact and last longer overall. Musks are traditionally a more resilient note and chances are you’ll be smelling it all day long.
8. Know what the different types of perfume are. Do you know your eau de toilette from your parfum or cologne from your body spray? The different types of scent mean different things for how long it’s going to last but also the strength of scent. Body sprays, cologne and eau de toilette’s have a lower concentration of fragrance oils and they have a more subtle scent. Eau de parfum tend to last longer and have a stronger scent. So it might just be worth forking out that little bit extra for parfum over the toilette.
9. Storing your perfume. The way your store your perfume will definitely affect how long it is going to last, perfume doesn’t last forever! It needs to be stored away from daylight, because heat and light can ultimate break down oil in the fragrance. Also not a good idea to store your scent somewhere that gets pretty warm, high temperature affect the top notes of the fragrance and can turn it sour! The best place to store perfume is in its original box, most probably on your dressing table away from extreme highs and lows in temperature.
10. Add the last few drops into a body lotion. Can’t get to the last millilitres at the bottom of the bottle? Pour it into an unscented body lotion to really make the most of that bottle! It avoids waste and makes your favourite scent last even longer.
These simple tweaks will keep you smelling sweet all day long and we bet you’re going to be telling everyone to stop rubbing their wrists together!
The new John Paul Gaultier Essence De Parfum has just launched, with updated scents for the ever popular Classique and Le Male. We wanted to see what the inspiration was behind the brand and what perfume means to the man himself; Jean Paul Gaultier.
1. What is Perfumery for you? What does its universe embody?
Parfumerie is a bit like Aladdin’s cave for me. There are so many elements, discoveries’ I have been experimenting with new fragrances for more than 20 years now, pushing the limits in this fascinating field. There are endless possibilities.
2. Is there a link between Haute Couture and Perfume?
Of course. Perfume is the first article of clothing it sets the pace of a look. And there is a vast savoir-faire in both fields. On both sides, there is a continual search for new shapes and new scent. And it is in this savoir-faire that both couture and perfume find their fulfilment.
3. What is most difficult when launching a perfume brand?
The most difficult thing is probably staying true to one’s own universe and to oneself. And to succeed in translating one’s values and obsessions into perfume. It is only by being in this state of mind, and thanks to savoir-faire, that one can reconcile both universes.
4. Not all fashion houses have a savoir-faire in perfumery, why did you choose to embrace this domain?
My DNA is to innovate and to be at odds with conventional ideal of beauty ‘ I always wanted to show more than one side of beauty. In my perfumes, I want to keep this irreverence and keep looking for a divergent beauty.
5. Once scent you like on other people?
The smell of freshness.
6. One scent you do not like on yourself?
A scent that would be too invasive.
7. An olfactory memory that transports you?
The smell of rice powder in theatres. It reminds me of the magical world I discovered at 6, when my grandmother took me to a show at the Theatre du Chatelet. It was like breaking through an all-new world, full of magic and poetry.
8. A childhood smell?
My grandmother’s boudoir.
9. What are the necessary qualities to appreciate a perfume?
A sense of surprise, an olfactive memory, like an image that appears in your head when you smell the perfume. I am a very visual person and scents trigger images in my head.
10. Do you think that women are more faithful to their men or to their perfume?
It is a good thing to be faithful, but it is also good to change. To each their own.
11. One word to describe JPG Perfumes?
Innovating, surprising, savoir-faire and punk attitude.
12. To whom is this beautifully designed body perfume addressed to?
Bodies evolve and so do perfumes. After more than 20 years of existence, they needed a new body and new look.
13. Your favourite quote about perfume?
‘When we talk about Belle Parfumerie, it does not always mean natural and raw materials’
You can get the new John Paul Gaultier Essence De Parfum here.