Over the past few years brows have become more important than ever before, to the point that most of us have developed our own little routine for our brows alone. Want full, flawless brows? Here’s how to do it yourself with just a few products.
First, coat the brows and add volume by brushing through a tinted brow gel (such as the Bourjois Instant Brow Mascara). Brush upwards and smooth across for a natural look.
Next, outline the brows with a pencil (Steph loves the Yurily Waterproof Brow Pencil). Extend the tail of the brow, fill in the arch and then lightly line underneath and on top of the front of the brow.
Now it’s time to fill in the brows using the Billion Dollar Brows Mad About Brows Palette. This palette contains a mix of colours so you can create your perfect shade, and it also comes with a handy brush and spoolie. Brush the powder through the hairs to soften the look.
Brush through the product using a spoolie. This will help blend all of the products together to create a more natural finish.
Finally, grab a creamy concealer (Revlon’s Photoready Concealer is a great option) and carve out the brows using a thin brush. This will help get rid of any mistakes whilst also sharpening up any lines. Blend out with the fingers, and you’re done! Look out Cara Delevigne.’
Comment below with any Quick Tips you’d like to see!
Wearing a bright and bold lipstick can be something of a burden and if you aren’t used to wearing it, a bit of a tricky prospect. It’s constantly at the back of your mind whether you’re on a date, in an interview or on a night out and the urge to whip out the hand mirror 30 times an hour is overwhelming. Applying a bold lip effectively requires a step by step process, which may seem like a big chunk of your makeup routine but once you’ve got it down to a fine art you’ll be rocking that lip effortlessly at every event!
We’ve devised the best way to keep that colour looking perfect for hours so keep on reading!
1. Exfoliate. Exfoliating your lips is essential for making sure you don’t get lipstick clinging to any dry or flaky areas of the lips. Scrub the lips with a small amount of brown sugar mixed with honey, the best thing to do is to include this in your weekly routine (we suggest twice a week to keep lips in top condition, removing dead skin and leaving you with a smooth base).
2. Moisturise. Next up it’s essential that the lips are well moisturised, any chapped or dry lips will significantly affect the finish and longevity of any bold lipsticks. Keep a hydrating lip treatment close by at all times, we suggest EOS Lip Balm to nourish and plump lips!
3. Prime. Priming the lips before applying a strong colour is essential as you want smooth and perfect base, much the same as using as makeup primer. It will increase the longevity of any lip colour and keep in from bleeding or feathering on the lips. We suggest this one from Sally Hansen as it includes an antioxidant formula of jojoba, sunflower and Moroccan oil which will also aid in keeping the lips hydrated.
4. Line. Now we all know with any lipsticks that we are supposed to line the lips and by no surprise it is essential for when you are applying that bright lippy. A lip liner is the most effective product for enhancing the lipstick and keeping it from budging all day long. You can use a lip liner to enhance the natural shape of your lips and create the appearance of a fuller lip. If you’re a big make up hoarder (guilty!) then you may have plenty of different lip liners to match all the lipsticks you own, however if you want one that will work for all lip colours then you need to go for a flesh toned shade. We suggest the Mii Alluring Lip Liner in Caress as its super creamy and easy to apply.
5. Tone. Ok now we get to the actual lip colour and the tone! Not all shades will flatter your skin tone so it’s best to make sure you know which one will work for you. If your skin has a pink undertone then it’s best to go for a blue toned lipstick like this one from MAC (Ruby Woo). A warmer tone will work best for those with a yellow undertone to the skin, like this one from MAC (So Chaud).
6. Application. When applying a bold lipstick it is important to keep the application as precise as possible. Using a lip brush will make it much easier than directly from the bullet, it will also help prevent mistakes and smudging. The best technique is to apply thin layers on product and then build up; this will also help with longevity. Start by following the outline of your lips and then blend into the centre to keep application looking professional. This retractable one from Real Techniques will work perfectly.
7. Blot. Once you have built up your desired colour and are happy with the application, blot blot blot. If you can get your hands on blotting tissues then they work better as they soak excess product without removing any pigment. These from Purederm are perfect and are also purse friendly, bonus! If you haven’t got blotting paper, then regular tissue will work as a substitute. By blotting the lips you will cement the pigment in place and prevent bleeding or settling in the creases.
8. Tidy. To clean up the edges of your lip line, use a bit of concealer on a thin lip brush. This will really make the lip colour standout and give you that professional finish, it’s also great for concealing any tiny mistakes! This concealer palette from W7 is great as it includes the tiny brush for application and the formula is really creamy and easy to apply.
9. Lock. Finally, the last step to perfecting the bold lip colour is fixing. A clear top coat will hold that colour in place for hours and prevent and transfer or smudging. The best one to use is this Technic Clear Gloss. If you want to keep your lipstick looking matte then you can dust some translucent powder over the lips and this will also lock the colour in place. Try this Technic Colour Fix Loose Powder.
Now try out these vibrant shades!
The Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick is one of our all time favourite lipsticks. It’s super pigmented giving a rich, lasting colour and the ‘Glamourous Red’ shade is the perfect, deep red for all skintones. Tip: Apply Lipcote on top to keep your pout as bright as ever all day long.
For those of you that prefer a matte finish, the Rimmel Apocalips Matte Lip Lacquer is the go-to product for just that. Our favourite shade is ‘Burning Lava’, a strong, deep, blue red ‘ pairing this with the right lip liner will give you an extra bold look. Tip: create a quick lip scrub with sugar, honey and olive oil before applying to prevent the matte formula drying out your lips and sitting in the creases.
Bewitching Coral is a safer tone for those who like it a little more low key. The warm pink tones make it a gorgeous, summery shade for most skintones. We love how the Max Factor Long Lasting Collections Lipstick stays put all day and leaves a silky soft finish to your lips. Tip: Apply a clear gloss over this shade in the Summer months for an extra pop!
This one’s a shade for those who dare! The L’Oreal Color Riche Made for Me Lipstick in Violet Saturne is a deep, plum toned brown and a colour to make a statement with during the evening. We love this one for a goth-goes-glam look. Tip: Lightly dab a lighter shade in the middle of your lips to create a subtle ombrÃ‡Â¸, making lips look more voluptuous.
Rock N Mauve
A favourite for Spring, the L’Oreal Caresse lipstick in Rock N Mauve is a subtle rose tone pink and is really pretty on those with paler skin tones, or for when you want to go a little more natural but still with a pop of colour ‘ and did we mention it’s flavoured? Win! Tip: Line with a lipliner one shade darker to bring the colour to life.
Une Sheer Lips
Lip glosses are the in-thing again, and Bourjois’ range of Une Sheer Lips Lip glosses is one of our favourite high street offerings, with the perfect balance of light and moisturizing rather than sticky. To brighten up a nude look with a glossy finish, Bourjois’ Une Sheer Lips has a shade for everyone. Tip: Line with a nude lipliner to keep lips looking strong and fuller.
Summer festivals, late night barbecues – all of these things equate to a good time, but the lack of sleep can play havoc on our eyes. Today, we’re showing you how to create a super simple eye look that will keep you looking bright eyed and bushy tailed throughout the summer season. Who needs coffee when you’ve got concealer?
STEP ONE: Start by priming the eyes using the Mii Enhancing Eye Prep. This will not only act as a great base for eyeshadow, but it’ll also brighten the lids, banishing the appearance of veins and dulling skin. Blend up towards the brows using your fingertips or a damp beauty sponge.
STEP THREE: Of course we can’t forget about concealer! To banish under eye circles blend the Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Eye Cream in an upside down triangle shape. This will help to highlight the under eyes and add moisture to tired under eyes.
STEP FOUR: Apply a black volumising mascara (such as the Maxfactor Xperience mascara to the top and bottom lashes to really open up the eyes.
Every week here at Fragrance Direct we get loads of new, amazing products on site. New fragrances launches, skin and haircare saviours and gorgeous new makeup products that we don’t want you to miss out on! From Jimmy Choo’s new fragrance to Mac lipsticks we think it’s time to treat yourself, we all need a bit of a pick me up in this dreary weather don’t we?!
First up we have the gorgeous new fragrance from Jimmy Choo ‘ Illicit Flower. It’s the new addition to the Jimmy Choo portfolio and here in the office we just can’t get enough of it! The packaging is beautiful and feminine and the bottle an ideal addition to your dressing table collection. The notes include apricot, zest of mandarin and floral notes of freesia so it’s light, fresh and ultra feminine. Perfect for everyday wear as it’s super long lasting.
Next up we have the Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick. These lipsticks are amazing for those of you who can find some lipsticks very drying and uncomfortable. The formula includes collagen, polypeptides and hyaluronic acid which when all working together deeply hydrate the lips and improve their condition. The colour pay off on these babies is so rich and pigmented you can achieve the perfect pout every day! At £2.99 they’re a steal!
Onto sun care and we now stock L’Oreal Sublime Sun Mythical Bronze SPF15. This dry oil is enriched with argan oil to nourish the skin and prevent drying whilst you’re spending those summer days on the beach. It gives a beautiful sheen to the skin without making you feel greasy which you can sometimes find with oil based products. It contains an ingredient that stimulates the production of melanin for a golden and radiant long lasting tan, bingo!